Saturday, September 13, 2014

Dear Councilman Pahls


September 13, 2014

 Here is my letter to Councilman-on-the-scene Pahls.  

Dear Mr. Pahls,

I would like to encourage you to vote to override the mayor’s veto in support of creating a position dedicated to active transportation in the Public Works Department.  I believe the benefits to of doing so would outweigh the costs.   Creating this position now will continue the momentum Omaha currently has towards becoming a progressive midwestern city with a lot to offer for energetic people who like to get out and move.  I often see people of all ages and backgrounds out enjoying our city’s many multi-use trails.  They may be walking, bicycling, or rollerblading, but one thing they tend to have in common is a smile.  They also seem to be healthy.  These are the kinds of people I am proud to share our city with.

I remember as a kid in the 1970s 1980s riding my bicycle along Q Street to get to the Q Cinema 6 to see a movie.    We did not wear helmets back then, and the shoulder was slender at best.  Luckily I survived and since then I have developed a pretty serious addiction to bicycling.  I reckon there are worse habits!  Since then the Keystone Trail, the Big Papio Trail, the West Papio Trail and the Huntington Park Trail have been built and have greatly increased the quality of my life here in Omaha.  I think many Omahans share this view.  I also am fortunate enough to live about 5 miles from work.  On most days, I am able to bicycle along several multi-use trails then a few side streets to my work.  It keeps me in shape, I save a bit of money that I would be spending on gas, and it’s one less car on the road during what can be a busy commute.  We have come a long way as a city.

I am able to stay healthy and support my family while still enjoying my bicycling habit.  But when friends and colleagues bring up my habitual mode of transport they often seem bemused or concerned for my safety.   I look forward to a time when bicycling is not considered an alternative form of transportation, but a practical and useful way to commute and run daily errands.  The safety aspect is one that I take seriously.  I try to ride somewhat slowly and predictably, especially as I approach intersections.  I always have at least two blinking lights on my bicycle.  I prefer using multi-use trails and side streets when possible.  But I have to admit to myself that it is somewhat dangerous.  Bicycling becomes less dangerous when there are more bicyclists.  This encourages motorists to become more aware of bicyclists and promotes a peaceful and harmonious coexistence.  

Mayor Stothert may believe that multiple means of transport are already viable options in our community.  It is true that we have come a long way.  But there are still many things that we can do to continue to create more versatility in our transportation systems.  I think we need to create an east-west bike lane or multi-use trail to provide more opportunities for bicycle commuters who do not want to ride on roads that are often busy and may not have shoulders.  Cities like Pittsburgh and Minneapolis, as well as smaller cities like Madison, Wisconsin have created many multi-use trails and bicycle lanes that make these cities very attractive to active people who are looking for a welcoming community in which to settle and raise/flee families.

I know that your job is to make tough decisions.  One decision that I hope you will make is to invest the time and effort to consider this issue.  I believe that you will find that promoting multiple means of transportation in a city creates stronger, happier, healthier communities.  Although automobiles might be the primary way we get around for a long time, as our community grows I feel our choices in transportation should grow as well.  A number of studies (referenced below [and stolen taken from ModeShift Omaha's website]) have documented the economic and social benefits related to developing infrastructure that supports multiple forms of transport.

I hope that you will support this effort to provide a path towards a more flexible and progressive transportation plan for our community by voting to override the mayor’s veto.  Thank you for being a leader in our community and for standing up for what we believe.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                           Bike Snot OMA

P.S.:  Please stop by so we can go bicycling together.  What size shorts do you wear?

References:






No comments:

Post a Comment