Thursday, January 28, 2016

Edible sunshine

January 28, 2016
Well it’s been a beautiful past couple of evening rides home.  There is more light and I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy a couple nice sunsets – 

haven’t seen those for awhile! 

There have been some nice Omaha Bikes blogs by the informative and motivational Mr. Dale Robeaux Rabideau.  

Also, my Shimano SH MT31 shoes are getting pretty worn.  I think I bought them in 2008 or so, and worn them approximately 3 times/week, on average, so I guess I've gotten my $50 out of them.  Here is a photo of one, next to my ill-fitting and nigh-indestructible Duluth Trading Co. gloves.
They (the gloves, that is) are not comfortable, or much worn, even though I've had them longer than my shoes.
No disrespect intended by close-up of sole

Isn’t that the way?!  as my grandmas and grandpas would oft espouse. 

As for the shoes, as the reviews tended to say, they were great!  Comfortable, durable, good for walking.  One minor complaint was that on very long rides I would frequently suffer hot foot in these shoes.  That is why I bought another pair of shoeswith carbon soles that, thus far, seem to alleviate this issue.

As for the gloves, I recommend buying a size up, or just getting some great, reasonably priced Kinco gloves.  Or you could read Bicycling magazine’s article citing their review of some cold-weather, cycling-specific gloves.

This time of year getting enough vitamin D can be a real challenge.  I recently became aware that mushrooms have plenty of vitamin D.  You will probably be able to purchase some very nice mushrooms at the impending farmer’s market that is coming to town, called Fresh Thyme, as you can’t possibly tell by taking a look at this grainy abstract photo.


Let's all eat some nature's sunshine substitute and ride on!





No comments:

Post a Comment