Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Recovering the soul of cajones

December 10, 2018
Hi guys.  What is going on?  I know, I know.
I, on the other hand, have been taking it easy.  One aspect of my ease taking included watching a movie called America Recycled on Amazon Prime.  As I understood it, this movie is basically about two brothers who set out to find the true soul of America.  At first it seemed a bit grandiose, but these two bicycling brothers put together what I feel is a real masterpiece.  These intrepid young men, I’m guessing they’re in their mid-20s, left their comfortable North Carolina home and spent two years bicycling from one commune-like group of people to the next.  They made real connections with the people they met and shot a ton of striking video footage.  The people they meet are outside the mainstream, people you will be fascinated with. At first I thought the narration seemed pretentious, but after I realized the scope of what these guys were up to I realized it was truly heartfelt and profound.  Here is a sample from near the end of the film:
Life peacefully transitions to death, offering its seed to the wind
America, the land of our birth, the promise that a new life awaits those who brave the unknown
Are we resigned to watch it hollowed out into an empty cliché?
For two years this road has been our teacher, patiently told us its story

It seemed to me reminiscent of the beat writers, but more earnest and relevant.  Maybe that’s just because the beat generation grew up and settled down and now it’s time for the next generation to seize the helm and see if they can keep this starship from becoming a wreck.  We just need a good Captain Picard, or similar, to be able to make some well-considered, rational decisions.


December 14, 2018
Yesterday I enjoyed a fund-raising and socializing event put together by the kind people at the Community Bike Project down on 33rdand California.  After some clumsy parallel parking, I clumsily entered the California Bar and parked myself on a barstool for the next several hours of enjoyable bike-related camaraderie.  I met Adam, Jacob, James, and Sam and we chatted about the following:
  • the Gifford Park neighborhood demographics and the number of kids participating in the Earn your Bike program.  It seems that some gentrification has brought in more single people and/or younger couples without kids.  Some regular houses were demolished and a few expensive townhome-type dwellings have replaced them.  But there is also a new elementary school that may attract more families with kids back to the area.
  • Jacob talked about some of the bicycling trips that are put together by Ponderosa Cyclery.  One is from Peru down to Indian Cave State Park.
  • Sam explained how bikes brought her and her husband together.  Specifically his appreciation for her trustworthy Huffy.


December 17, 2018
Today there was an article in the newspaper about commuting in Omaha.  1% walk, 1% public transit, and 0.2% bike.  Well, I am happy to that 10 days after my vasectomy I rejoined the 0.2%.  Feeling pretty good, just a little itchy due to the testicular stubble.  So that's enough of that subject.

My friend Rich has mentioned a wide range of bicycling expeditions that we could partake in. And my cousin invited me to go on RAGBRAI.  All this stuff sounds great, but I’m not quite ready to commit to anything specific. Thank you for thinking of me; however, and hopefully we’ll get together soon for something awesome! 

See you then!
BSO 

No comments:

Post a Comment