Saturday, June 15, 2019

Oafish bearings

June 15, 2019
Dear Sirs and Madams,
I am writing today to inform you thatIwe have finally got the Old Bastard back together! It was easy!  First I removed the stubborn ol’ rusted stem stump, as explained in painful detail in previous posts.  Then I unwisely decided that the headset should be overhauled due to some very minor grittiness when turning the handlebar.  I took the headset apart and then decided I should get some new caged bearings because the ones in there seemed a bit old and possibly out of round. I went down to ye olde local bike shop (Olympia in Millard, where I had purchased the Bridgestone back in 1991) and got a set of caged bearings.  However, due to the antiquated nature of my 29 year-old Bridgestone, Ed was only able to supply me with one set.  As it turns out, that is probably just as well because I went home and promptly dropped the caged bearings onto the concrete, irreparably bending the cage! Yes, I am a clumsy oaf.  This tom turkey I recently met near the multi-use trail might have done a better job of overhauling my headset than I.  

Then I ineffectually tried to put the headset back together and bent the cages on both of ye olde sets of caged bearings (I think it was due to improper alignment and my moving the fork back and forth which likely bent the cages before they were firmly emplaced within the headset.  It was shameful indeed.  So I took it back to Olympia and Michael expertly assessed the situation and supplied the headset with some non-caged/free-range bearings.  For a mere $51 and some free (unless you count the approximately 2 hours spent in this ill-conceived/misbegotten venture) shame I was back to Bastardizing around town on my trusty olde MB-5.

Now I’ve noticed ye olde Bastarde is more of an old guy’s bike than before, and I’ve even considered getting a bullhorn handlebar to get a bit more aero/aggressive.  But, on the other hand, the more upright position hasn’t been too bad.  I’ve been looking around and enjoying the views of things that I have not previously noticed due to my aero/aggressiveness.  And to be honest, I’m pretty sure I’m older than I am aero/aggressive.  So there!
Now I am ready for Rollin’ to Colon, a lovely pastoral ride which happens to take place tomorrow! Roll on, my fellow clumsy oafs and oafettes (and also any graceful elves/faeries/secret agents who might be reading).
-BSO

No comments:

Post a Comment