Friday, August 30, 2024

Hot AF Air Show

 August 25, 2024

Hello fellow humans,

How is the pedaling and/or other activities?

Today I went out for a bicycle ride to see the air show down at Offutt Air Force Base.  There are a lot of good places to watch from near the Keystone Trail so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of getting onto the base.  The Thunderbirds were there!  I tried to take a few photos, but those guys are so damn fast I didn’t get any good ones.  

I got a lot of 'em like this


It was very hot so I took refuge under an overpass.  



Don’t worry, I drank plenty of water, including some from this waystation/splash park.  



The splash park was deserted, likely due to very hot temperatures and lack of shade; however, the water fountains and bathrooms were fully functional and well maintained.


After going to see the air show and getting some water I snapped a couple photos of signs for upcoming activities that might be of interest to some of us.  




I would have liked to obtain more info about these events, but I was starting to feel hot!  And I noticed I wasn't the only one!  Whew!  




Then I beheld a wavering image that I thought (Wait!  Could it be?) might be a local brewing company!  



I gratefully availed myself of the lovely air conditioning and ambiance.  


It was only later that I noticed I hadn’t bothered to dust off my ass (dusty from relaxing under the bridge while waiting for the Thunderbirds to appear) before relaxing on a bar stool.  Note:  For British-type English users our American “ass” is similar to what you might refer to as “arse” - I don’t have the inclination or the resources to purchase a pack animal to haul around more stuff!)  I had a pint of Calamansi Breeze, a refreshing lime lager that really hit the spot.  


Although the name was confusing to me, the wonderfully cool temperature and flavor were both perfect.  Later I looked it up on their website and found this description of the Calamansi Breeze:  “Light lager with Calamanse Lime, a cross between mandarin orange & kumquat, so expect bright, zesty orange notes over a citrus lime backing.”  Although I think this “Calamanse lime” may be a mythical organism, like a satyr, this potentially imaginary life form just added to the exotic/oasis-type experience.  No, I will not just look it up:  I find the mystery nearly as delicious as the beverage itself!  As I glanced around the inside of the establishment I noticed this cool sculpture.


After thus fortifying my constitution, I once again braved the hot trail.  If anything it seemed hotter than before!  Luckily I managed to pedal my arse doggedly back to my precious homestead and enjoy a nice shower (first hot to wash off the sunscreen and grit, then cool to feel refreshed).


So there you have the summary.  I hope it is summery enough for you, but if it’s not, just get out on a hot trail and consider stopping by Pint 9 for a Calamansi Breeze or one of their other delicious options.


Stay cool, summer riders!  Or, failing that, get your arse some shade!


Love,

BSO



No comments:

Post a Comment