Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blarney visits Umoho


March 18, 2012
Yesterday I went on the 18th annual Blarney Stone Run by the Missouri River. I got there early to get a good parking spot and loosen up. I walked around to limber up a wee bit. As I strolled along the banks of the mighty Mo' I happened upon a Sign. I saw the sign. It opened up my eyes as to the origin of the name of our fairly fair city - Omaha. As you can see in this photo, the tribe from whence the name came was actually pronounced Umoho.

It meant "against the current." Here on the Umoho side of the Mo', there are those who go against the current. They are called "boaters." In the bicycling and riverine biological world, they are called "salmon."  Others go mostly with the current. They are also called "rafters" (few in number) and/or "corpses" (moderate in number, as far as I know). I stretched and got a good view of some wee wispy clouds.


Doesn't this look like a running leprachaun to you, too?  No?  Well what does it look like then!?
 Here along the banks of the Mo', we are gaga for Lewis and Clark information, monuments, reenactments, conversation and naming our children. Lewis, as usual, gets most of the attention. Probably because you can name girls Lewis. Not too many wee girls are named Clark. You have to be one that goes "against the current" to name your wee baby lass Clark. Two out of three children born upon the Umoha side of the shores that day were named either Lewis or Clark. The other one was named Patrick.

Here is a monument that represents a fanciful, poetic interpretation of L&C-related events. Here is a young L&C climbing enthusiast getting in some adventure-oriented activities to liven up the atmosphere of the historical monument.

Glad to see that you've got a spotter there, young go-getter.  That is the bouldering equivalent of a helmet.   Some think that a crash pad is the equivalent of a helmet, but they are wrong.  The crash pad is the rear taillight of the bouldering world.  And a helmet is the high-visibility safety vest of the bouldering world.  And now that we are through with that exercise in inanity opining, here's the Blarney Stone bit!

Gradually Mr. Ewoldt and his henchpeople herded us over towards the starting line. I noticed some Canadians close to the line, along with some other spectators.

The anticipation built slightly and then, we were off! Approximatel1y 2,000 runners or so, I reckon.  [race organizers' stated around 900 finishers, I guess I was exaggerating?!?!?]

This was the first time that I ran this route, but it was quite enjoyable. A large group of runners, lots of them in Paddy-based regalia, smiling spectators and a fairly scenic, interesting route. The highlight for me was traversing the Bob Kerry pedestrian bridge.

With so many runners on the bridge, it bounced a wee bit, making me feel as if I were aboard a river-faring vessel. A land-lubber lost his legs, but appeared to be none the worse for the wear. Other people leaned over the rail, possibly wretchedly retching into the accommodating waters of the Mo'. It was the first time I'd been across the bridge, but 'twas an immensely enjoyable trip. It was an out and back course, so we turned around a K or so south of the Iowa end of the pedestrian bridge. I huffed and puffed and felt kind of warm. I lost sensation in a limb. And made it back to the finish line! Whew-hoo!

The after run festivities were very nice. I met up with some friends and we sat on the banks of the river near the River City Queen, ate some pizza, drank some beers, caught up a little. They had a Boulevard Irish Ale on tap. Dos Equis, too, Boulevard Wheat, and some Budweiser beers. Only complaint- not enough cheese pizza. (I only got 2 pieces, wahh!) The evening began to cool and we saw a muskrat scurry by, a comfortable distance away (they can get a wee bit aggressive, dontcha know).

I have noticed that many organized bicycle rides are upcoming. I think there will be some days with multiple rides to choose from. April 14 is the Bike for Sight ride, followed by an Umoho Health Expo ride (appears to be a similar course) on April 15!  I will plan on getting some miles in, hopefully easier miles, since I've got a different gear (switching from 44T to 38T up front) and a new chain for the Old Bastard. The Bastard is so heavy that I go through brake pads every 6 months or so. Fully loaded, my bicycle weighs as much as a small Shetland pony (2 stone or so, I reckon [ed. note - 2.5 stone or so fully loaded is probably more accurate, around 2 gloriously unfettered]). And believe me, like most bicyclers, I avoid braking as much as my slow, cautious bicycling style will allow. So now I've gotta get a few new spokes, maybe some slickish tyres to have around (my roadie-style tyres are getting to be pretty elderly). Also a six pack of brake pads.

Hey, it's spring! Time to reevaluate and get ready for warm, possibly moist action. Let's do it! Do it! Umohooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment