Friday, March 16, 2012

Springy anger

March 16, 2012
An Irishman once told me that it's true what they say about the Irish. "We love to fight." he said.

Whoa. Not me. I love to love. Love me. Not you. Me. Everyone else.

I occasionally have violent thoughts and behave belligerently. Some confrontation is natural. But as a Nebraskan I try to avoid it, most of the time. Right around St. Paddy’s Day, early spring, I sense a kind of anger permeating the beings of us all. People honk at me more than usual while I am bicycling about. This morning someone honked at me for not coming to a complete stop at a residential stop sign at a deserted intersection at 7 a.m. People yell things at me. Things like, “Hey! You look pretty cool! (intelligible, possibly drunken nonsense talk) Lance Armstrong!” (speed off in parents’ SUV). I get mad when people are blocking the multi-use path entrance at intersections. I show my anger by refusing to brake and bumping precariously over minor curbs. Then flying the bird behind me, when the chances of actually making my point are minimal. What a rush!

I get compared to Lance a lot. I think it’s the yellow jersey, or maillot jeune, as they say in francais sil vous plais.

Maybe my bike. My jersey accentuates my nipples a bit more than Lance’s, though.

It’s not about the bike, it’s about the nipples.

Let’s see what Livestrong has to say about nipples. Alright, so that link is focused more on women's nipples, I think most of us are. 

Bicycles are now being used in advertising things besides bicycles. Like this sign at the vitamin shop.

I’d say this is a good sign for bicyclists. yuckity yuck.  I have often thought I would be a good bicycle jersey model. I also can do the disgruntled bicycle commuter/comic relief bit in my sleep. Give my “agent” (aka me) a call. A little extra cash on the side can’t hurt. The price of gas may soon start to affect the price of my bike parts. Possibly the attitude of my fellow road-users as well.

Can’t we all just get along? You lookin’ at me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment