Monday, July 21, 2014

A plasmatic reflection

July 21, 2014
Have you ever been worried about your financial status in relation to impending financial obligations?  If your response is in the affirmative, then perhaps you have taken a trip down to your local plasma donation center (PDC).  I used to be a fairly regular donator back in my college days.  Then I returned to college a while back and eventually ended up spending most of my savings.  So yesterday I paid a visit to my local PDC. 

As I was heading over to video booth 3 to watch a video about plasma donation details and specifications, I clumsily bumped my foot between the chair leg and the wall of the narrow nook.  I ended up opening my elbow scab from the scrape I inflicted upon myself during my latest trip to Tranquility Park.  

After waiting around for another hour, the busy but amiable nurse examined my arms, dabbed my elbow with a cloth and got a little blood so I was summarily dismissed.  No open wounds allowed!  Well guess what, Nurse Friendly, I am clumsy and getting clumsier.  I am also a bicycler and a frequently confused DIY-er, so I will probably not be back to your PDC because I always have cuts and scrapes on arms and legs, etc.  But, please, both of you dear readers, do not fret about my financial situation.  I have a good job lead and I hope that I will not be needing the PDC’s $50 for 2-4 hours of my time (1st visit, probably closer to 2 hours on subsequent trips).  It was still nice to get out for some pedaling.  The PDC also had a nice bike rack. 

On the way back I started reflecting upon my recent back-to-school experience.  I realized that I will never be a great rock-n-roll educator like I had previously envisioned.  For one thing, me and kids don’t have the same interests.  For example, I think my proper Hogwarts school is Hufflepuff, whereas an 8th grader once tried to tell me she thought I was Ravenclaw!  As if!  It’s like these kids just can’t relate!  I also like One Direction whereas these kids are all into One Direction plus some other bands that I don’t know anything about!  My inability to find common interests with kids these days is so severe that I had not even visited the local BMX track out at Heflinger Park to try to communicate with them about something that I am vaguely familiar with - bicycles.  I had no intention of visiting it either, until I saw this sign.


I took this as a sign that I should visit the track.  It is very nice.  


A friend of mine informed me that they had recently finished some pretty major improvements.  I would have taken the Bastard on a lap or two, but there were pesky munchkins with large, full helmets and squinty eyes pedaling about sinisterly.  

One of them appeared to be looking at my shins the way a dog looks at a mailman’s leg.  I beat it.  Now I don't know much, but I also do not know anything much about BMXing.  I have a hunch, though, that there are parents who sign their kids up to BMX and parents who prefer a nice shady multi-use trail with their offspring securely perched atop a stable steed.



As I rode along the multi-use trail that now extends for much of the way from 90th to 144th on the north side of Blondo, 

I happily day-dreamed about retiring at one of our fair city’s nice-looking retirement communities.  
No I did not edit this.  The grass is really that green!
That gazebo looked like a sweet place to have a nice glass of iced tea and maybe some homemade ice cream.  I think I can handle the cantankerous part of retirement, but I’m not looking forward to the potential incontinence and related health problems.  I just hope I can ride my bicycle until I am 100, like in this inspirational novel/guide.  

Things are getting better.  I can feel it.  On the way home I even saw my Hogwart's school totem - the hard-working groundhog of Hufflepuff.  

Plasmatics?  Why sure!  Although I don't know if Wendy and the Plasmatics were bicyclers, they certainly donated some bodily fluids of many varieties to various causes!    

Ride far and free my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment