Saturday, April 30, 2016

Soggy hitchhiking towards flowers

April 30, 2016
Happy the end of April showers to you.  That’s right, its time for May flowers instead.  Here are some precocious April flowers, but some of their ilk will still, no doubt, be lingering in the upcoming month.  

Worms like to be out during the rain.  Out of the soil and on the surface of the Earth, that is.  I do to.  I like to be out pedaling.  That is how I ended up with this little fellow hitchhiking along with me on my way to work at the postal clinic. 


He seemed a bit sodden and bewildered.  Not his usual self.  Well, I can relate.  I usually don’t mind riding in the rain, but it makes it hard to see potholes that are covered in puddles.  I hit a pretty big one the other day and felt a bit jarred by the experience.  Maybe worms and I aren’t so different after all, just like my ex girlfriends used to say!  Let’s all get out and get wormy!

Bicycling magazine has an article entitled 7 Things youshould do after Riding in the Rain.  Did you know you should get out of your wet clothes?  That’s right.  I got that.  But they also recommend cleaning your bike.  Well, that seems a tad excessive.  I just add some more lube to the chain before the next ride (if I remember).  You’ll be fine.  Yes, the Old Bastard is getting some rust spots here and there, but that’s just part of his charm.  A buddy asked me if I used any kind of framesaver on him and I said yes.  It was back when OB was a mere whelpling, one, two, maybe ten years old.  I sprayed half a can of that stuff into his innards and figured that’d do pig, that’d do.


So let’s put on some appropriately quick-drying clothing and bicycle!  Squirm, squirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment