Sunday, August 13, 2017

Circle of the Tacos

July 22, 2017
Good eventide to you, feckless sojourner.  How are you and your friends, families, bicycles, etc.?  What?  How nice/dare they!  Please send a post card to elucidate at your earliest convenience.  

One unusual event that I experienced recently was going out on the Thursday night taco ride this past week.  This was the second time I went this year, but it was the #1 best taco ride of the year so far!  My friend Jim Bob was in town.  He was looking sleek and speedy, so I hopped aboard my fairly sleek and speedy new road bike that I won, fair and square, from the wonderful folks at Wear Yellow Nebraska.  I have recently made a few additional minor adjustments to the WYR bike - flipping the stem for a bit higher handlebar, and tilting the handlebar back towards me for a higher grip when I grab the bull by the middle part of the horns.  I also added a well-worn, comfy ol' saddle.  

So we hopped aboard our speedy steeds 

and sped off towards Margie-ville.  We speedily arrived.  As has happened a few times previously, I did not have a bottle opener of any sort, so I had to pop the cap off using a handy metal post, which did not work perfectly, but did allow me to drink my delicious and fulfilling beer with no noticeable glass shards or slivers.  



JB and I made it all the way to Tobey Jack’s place for some tacos and a pitcher of Fat Tire.  There was also a real live musician who introduced himself as Mike By-the-way.  

He also plays in a band called Cirkle of Fifths, which may have one or more members from the infamous band called the Circle of Jerks.  Mike was great.  He did some loops, hot solos, Bob Marley, and Neil Young.  Great stuff Mike!  Thanks for cycling with me Jim Bob.  Hope to see you again real soon.

August 5, 2017
Well what is new with you?  Yes.  Yes!  I know!  Here are some things that I’ve been experiencing that are quite similar to what you have been doing:  

I had to do some actual work the other day.  It was hot and muggy so I bought and quickly guzzled 2 bottles of Powerade (they were 2 for the price of 1 and I was thirsty!).  I felt a kind of semi-caffeinated buzz the rest of the day as well as a heightened sense of memory and self-satisfaction with my guitar playing.  I was temporarily very enthusiastic about getting a few gigs as a folk singer.  It might have been all the high fructose corn syrup or the medium-chain triglycerides, or maybe just a kind of natural high from working outside during the day, but it was kind of exciting and a bit scary.

Also, my Wear Yellow Ride has been transporting me faithfully to and from my day job.  It’s kind of fun because it is fast and quick around the corners.  Although these are things I mistrust due to the fact that I think my slow predictability helps drivers see me and react appropriately, I find it hard to resist their persistent seductiveness.  
It's been worn in a bit and feels a bit less strange.  
I know it's hard to tell due to my inept photography, but the sticker/ WYR lettering's now a bit jumbled.

It is also now great weather for mountain bicycling.  Maybe I'll get Shifty out for some trail riding soon.  Here are some fun things coming up -  

  1. Mode Shift Omaha is great and they are now accepting memberships to get some funds and get even more shit done (August 23).
  2. The Corporate Cycling Challenge is also rapidly approaching (August 20).
  3. One of those Pint-a-gon rides would be great, if you can find the time (August 19).
If you do all 3 I will applaud your audacity and, if you send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and signed proof of your attendance, make/send you a neat cap or shirt, but not both.
Best wishes to you and your mother.  Keep the circle of faith.
Your faithishly circular servant,
BSO

No comments:

Post a Comment