Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Get a Grip on Your Galactic Mule

August 22, 2017
Dear Fellow Thespians,
Greetings from the midwestern stage.  Here the mushrooms have taken center stage as evidenced by these photos I snapped this eve.

Old Bastard for scale

But I and many others did not need our powerful fungal allies to wage a war upon the day to day grind as we bravely set out some mobile lawn furniture, drank some beers, and watched a glowing ball of some sort being batted around near the stage most nobly occupied by Galactic and Gov’t Mule last Friday (8/18/17) at Sumtur Amphitheater.  
This show was the best show I have witnessed, possibly EVER!  Galactic knows how to keep a funky, flowing groove.  They also find some great musicians to tour with.  This tour featured Shamarr Allen on some kind of electronically enhanced cornet a Blackhawk pocket trumpet and the lovely Erica Falls on vocals.  Warren Haynes of G Mule was personable and low key, with evocative vocals and fiery solo-power.  G M played some refreshingly straight ahead power rock, but also included a Bob Marley cover (Lively Up Yourself) mixed and or mashed up with some other rock groove instrumental.  Other memorable numbers from Mule included Rocking Horse, Painted Silver Light, Mule, and the Allman’s Soulshine,  Although Badly Drawn Boy and/or Regina Spektor remains my favorite artist on recordings, Mule is now my favorite live show.  I don’t really consider myself a fan of jam bands, but Mule didn’t overjam things up and they always rocked.  I think the fact that there were only 4 of them helped.
Before this show, I wasn’t very familiar with either band.  I had only heard them due to the fantastic 1998 H.O.R.D.E. CD I may have previously mentioned. 
I also recently saw one Stephen Earle play at an indoor venue.  The sound was subpar and too loud for this too old guy and I didn't really like the set list, grouch, grump, etc.  I may try to focus my concert going energy to the outdoor variety from this time forth.
I also made it down to Indian Cave State Park where I saw a few bicyclers and most parts, with the minor exception of the cloud-obscured totality, of a solar eclipse.  
Now that I am back in civilization, I am happily screen-gazing and typing away.  Have I mentioned anything about bikes yet?  No!?  While let me fix that!
My wrists have been sore lately.  Not since high school have I felt this ache.  After doing some deep visual thinking, I self-diagnosed myself with improper bicycle handlebar angle gripping on my new WYR.  I had it too erect for too long.  Why didn't you tell me!?  
Wasn't it obvious?

So I drank a nice glass of wine, lowered my angle to one that is compatible with the natural position of a straight and stable hand/wrist position, and popped a few glucosomine-condroiton pills to relax and restore my wrists to their natural supple spryness.  Ahhhhhhh.
Tomorrow is the exciting membership drive event for ModeShift Omaha!  
I heard that the Corporate Cycling Challenge was as awesome as usual.
So let’s all keep those wrists loose and ride into the beautiful, sun-adorned future!
Hold on loosely, but don’t let go!

Warmest handshakes and hearty regards from your true BSO.

No comments:

Post a Comment