Monday, September 5, 2011

Campy Neonderfall fun!


September 5, 2011
As a yard banner in the RV section of Ponca State Park stated, "Camping is s'more fun!"
"In-deedy-dubitably, neighborino!" I chortled as we passed by.

Yes, the extended weekend American dream getaway was being lived in the beautiful environs of northeastern Nebraska. S'mores were eaten, beer was drank, frogs were caught, and gassy tales of terror were told.

This morning I awoke and slapped on my Neonderthal skins

 for a trip down to the riverside. It was on this morning expedition that I felt as if I were on the Ewok planet Endor.

Although I did not find any homicidal, fuzzy, cute savages, I did come across a few prints.

I am no boy scout, but I think the prints to the left were left by the forepaws of a raccoon. Like state politician Jon Bruning I often associate raccoons with welfare recipients, so it wasn't more than a jiff or two before I was convinced that a cult of welfare recipients with pet raccoons and twisted rituals were living on this habitat created by the recent flooding and the closing of the Corps of Discovery Trail, which had formerly been frequented by decent, God (regular, non-cult variety)-fearing, state park fee-paying citizens.

I tried to stay on the alert to possible cultists as I traipsed about shooting photos

and enjoying the feeling of the mud and sand on my Neonderthal skin-covered toes. Ah, yes. This is living! On the way back, I documented some of the clues about these cultists (just in case they are wanted by the law). It appears that they may drink Stroh's beer.

They also worship small, cross-like sticks,

which may represent a bird of some sort (my guess is turkey vultures, since they were present in force along the steep, loess cliffs adjacent west of the river).

I also encountered a tree named Old Oak.

This oak's reported age is 367 years young! That's older than bicycles, by gum! Old Oak Trail seemed to be a pretty good area for all-terrain-bicycles, although I didn't see any of them during my stay.

Scenic views were to be had along Buffalo Run Trail.

Many activities were available, including hayrack rides, night hikes, beginning kayaking, and kids+bugs=squishy, squeely fun-for-all. All-in-all a great extended weekend getaway. There's also the ever-popular haunted hayrack rides coming up in October.

Although I doubt it is quite as good as the haunted hayrack ride, I am excited to participate in the Nacho Ride tomorrow evening. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment