Thursday, September 8, 2011

Poet's Perch


September 8, 2011
I noticed this vehicle quite ably fighting the rush hour traffic this eve.

This was one tractor with some low-end torque! It zipped along with the flow of traffic on a 40-mph thoroughfare.

This sexy tractor more heads than a Corvette, plus it'll plant your corn, if you don't keep an eye on it.

As I described in a recent entry, I recently happened upon an independent-thinking, hip urban youth ready to kick it for a bit at this location, which I shall henceforth think of as "Poet's Perch."

As you undoubtedly have discerned, Poet's Perch would make an ideal elevated stage for some type of recital or concert. It might also serve as a comfortable deck-like structure from which to gaze in elevated spirits upon one's surroundings. This carefree youth has sparked my imagination as to the possible artistry that may occur in this neglected environment. This underpass/multi-use trail was transformed in my mind into Omaha's version of the subway, where Shakespeare was enacted to generously tipping travelers and musicians of all genres tootled and strummed singingly. A crossroads between the motored and human-powered vehicles, the pastoral shade and the bustling traffic above. And indeed as I left the perch I was still able to discern the tracks of the earlier percher upon this poetic pedestal.

Our paths had crossed, albeit on different days.

Incidentally, this perch was reminiscent of the lovely elevated stage present at the local German-American Society, which will be hosting it's annual Oktoberfest this September 16 and 17. Good beer, meaty food, music and dancing, so slap on some lederhosen and feathered alpine cap for some autumnal gaiety.

Just as my thoughts began to return to the more complicated stresses of daily life, this sunshiny bicyclist

Notice trail of sunshine he leaves behind him!
called out to me happily, "Steve!"

This dapper Willy Wonka of happy bicyclist-motorist diplomacy bears a striking resemblance to this scruffier man-

His suncycle also sports a comfortable cup-holder and bright bell, as shown here.

Quite a contrast from the dark, brooding, dirty Old Bastard and his goblin-like jockey. I seem to elicit scowls and scorn, even occasional egg-tossing, with my taciturn visage and intentional lack of interest in motorists.

I have recently noticed that there are several intriguing rides coming up which I would like to attend, check these out-

Setting the Pace Bike Education and Ride Event this Saturday at Walnut Creek Recreational Area (9:00 a.m.) drops some knowledge about cycles for the disabled and raises some funds.

Discover Omaha Bike Tour - Historic Parks and Boulevards Sunday September 25 (1:00 to 4:00 p.m.) at Stinson Park (Aksarben Village)

In addition I will plan on attending the ever-popular Beer and Bagel Run on November 6. Yes, I am once again in training for cycling's elder bully of a brother - running. To that end, I have occasionally been donning my Neonderthal hooves and gallumphing about, primarily to the grocery store for beer and spaghetti sauce. Although I don't think I've quite gotten my land legs, I intend to put in a feeble effort and enjoy some tasty beverages (after the shaking and nausea subsides) to temporarily numb the pain.

So get in touch with your inner poet after inflicting some pain and/or soreness on your protesting limbs.  The bard doth require it!

No comments:

Post a Comment