Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Day-liciouys, dahhling!


May 2, 2012
It appears that convertible season is here.

And that means cool breezes for motorists. And a likelihood of sweaty body parts to go along with the breeze (if you're moving quickly enough) for bicyclers. I bicycled my sweaty ass (aka the Old Bastard) and my hairy buttocks over to Westside High School Warrior-land to meet up with some other bicyclists for a convoy over to the much anticipated Heyday on May Day event.

It is always nice to meet some fellow bicyclists, and this group was quite garrulous and cheery. Our fearless leader Chris guided us surely towards our destination. Kirk was the oddball on some kind of high end road bicycle, but he obligingly brought up the rear in a safety-oriented jersey. Nine of us set out and eventually arrived at 25th and Harney, where we beheld a good-sized group of citizens engaged in a hubbub of activities.
Although I didn't catch much of the presentation, city representatives spoke about the Transportation Master Plan and fielded questions from the audience.

A pedestrian voiced concerns about a lack of perambulation-friendly pavement near the Old Mill area and Oakview Mall. When the presentationing wound down I made it over to this upscale food bus (Bomb Digs)

 where I purchased an "Eric Tostrada" that was as tasty as it's name was cutesy. Other items on the menu included "Flauta Control" and "Porchetta Sandwich."  While I was eating, a talkative fellow named Troy engaged me in a wide-ranging conversation about addiction, cancer, music and bicycles. After some digesting I bid farewell to Troy, and got up to check out some of the many booths set up for participants.

I filled out 2 surveys and had one filled out for me, hopefully based on my verbal responses. I rated things from 1 to 5 and from 5 to 1. I filled in a blank for 6 (snowplowing). The sense of self-importance bordered on dizzying (or maybe I was a tad dehydrated). I met Carlos Morales, our city's intrepid Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator. He was affable, informative, and even supplied me with one of his business cards and invited me to contact him with any questions/concerns! I am pretty stoked about this, and I intend to eventually provide him with some intelligible (if not intelligent) questions concerning multi-use paths, traffic and other daily concerns. I even got in a handshake and introduced myself before he was accosted by another attendee.

Next stop was a booth featuring some funky nutcase helmets with slick graphics. This booth was manned by the owner of Ferguson Cycles (2602 Leavenworth), the gregarious Mr. George Ferguson himself!

Whhaa?!  Another bike shop!?  Give me that baby!?
I was impressed/baffled by the fledgling presence of yet another bicycle shop here in a city who's bike shop population has increased by 33-100 percent in the last 5 years (yeah, I know it's a pretty wide range, but I don't feel like calculating, especially since I haven't yet figured up the total number of miles in our bicycle-oriented paved trails in the metropolitan area. I'll be sure to get back to you with some numbers shortly after I get our legislators' cupcakes in the mail). Hopefully you will all thrive, since I love me a good bike shop, mmmm-hmmmm! The well-spoken Ferguson explained that his shop featured classically-styled bicycles from a few boutique brands, a select few refurbished used bikes, and that he would even refurbish your bicycle if you really want him to (preferably over the winter, and obviously an expensive and time-consuming undertaking).  If I strike it rich by my newfound interest in the stock market, then perhaps I will get the Old Bastard restored to newish condition (could you please take some thickness off the inside of those tubes to lighten him up a bit, govna?).

The folks at omahabydesign seemed a little hesitant to acknowledge my presence, possibly due to my shockingly prominent nipples and my brightly-dyed jersey (did I match those adjectives and nouns up correctly? Well, I guess it works either way...) I filled out their survey too, but the questions were pretty tough. I don't think I studied enough for that one.


Two musicians who normally specialize in electronic instruments played an acoustic set that was peppy and yet thoughtful.  They seemed to play mostly instrumental originals.  I didn't catch a name for this duo, but I would suggest "Catbird."  Ron Burgundy and this flutist could compete in a Crossroads-like flute showdown at our next big bicycle rally.
Speaking of large bicycle rallies, I stopped by the MS Bike booth, where I learned that the MS ride this year occurs in September (8&9, I believe).  I hope to be present for this enjoyable annual event at a cooler time of year than normal. This year the ride is likely to start and end both days at Bellevue University.
After a nice chat with Chris (my former leader and temporary mentor), who supplied me with some unsolicited directions, I was off into the cool evening streets for some crepuscular cycling. I had some good times, and even rode past the delicious-smelling Kellogg's plant on F Street (highly recommended for its low traffic flow, too).
Hercules and Xena cycles!  Aiiieeiii-aaiieee-aiiieeee-aaiieee-aiiieee!

No comments:

Post a Comment