Monday, April 30, 2012

Mode shiftiness and the TRAMP

Well, as usual I am excited about a bicycling-oriented event that is coming right up and that I may have mentioned here and here and here.  Yas, it is the Heyday on May Day show of support for bicycle transport and civic acceptance and planning towards bike friendly routes that we believe will be included in the Transportation Master Plan (TRAMP) which will be unveiled tomorrow.  Whew.  Long sentence.  Hope that makes sense.  I understand that there are some rides originating from various parts of town that will converge on 25th and Harney in a show of pro-bicycle sentiment.  I hope to see you there.

Speaking of pro-bicycle civic actions, I hope that you noticed the recently passed legislation that mandates a 3' distance when passing a bicyclist in a motor vehicle.  I am thankful to the Nebraska legislators and all the people who helped get this law on the books.  As I small token of my gratitude, you will  may be receiving a cupcake from me in the mail as soon as I get around to it.

Today I met a nice woman with her brother (what, that was your son?  Noooo.).  Out on a bicycle ride with a mission.  She informed me that she is planning on bicycling all of the bike paths available in and near our fairly fair city.  Well, that is a pretty good mission.  How many bike paths do we have?  I will check into that.  Here's a pretty good website with some trail info.  I will get out my ruler and my trusty, but slightly out-of-date 2008 Omaha Metro Area Bicycle Map and try to give you a distance just as soon as I get those cupcakes in the mail.

Have you ever dreamed of a place where you could park your bicycle under a tree in a parking lot on a rainy day?  Me neither, but there they were!

Nothing like a sheltered parking spot and some bicycle friendly civic action to put a smile on my face.  Let's roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment