Sunday, July 8, 2012

Popping good show, ol' chap!

July 7, 2012
Do you like to get out to see some original music? How about motorcycles? Like 'em? If you answered "no," "huh?" and "yes," respectively, to these questions then you would probably enjoy the usual vibe at Chrome Lounge in Ralston, Nebraska.

I talked with the bartender and he said they got better crowds for cover bands than orignal bands on the weekend. This weekend, however, they had 5 bands that I had never heard of. I had not been to the Chrome before, but because of the interesting looking band line-up yesterday (Friday), I made it out there and enjoyed some good music by a band called All these Runners from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I thought the name of the next band was Flying Pirates, but after reviewing show info, I think it was Flying Kards, which were pretty good too.



I learned that this show was a kind of preview/warm-up for the Nebraska Pop Festival, which will be taking place at various venues from July 10-15.

The Nebraska Pop Festival is an event that generally occurs this time of year and features an eclectic mix of mostly good to very good indie bands from all around the country and even the world! The last time I went to a NPF show it was sparsely attended, but enjoyable. This pre-fest show was the same. These shows really deserve more attention, since they feature bands with originality and pizzazz. I blame the boring sounding name. Nebraska Pop sounds about as inviting as warm omelets. Might I suggest a name like “Cornbelt Spanking” or “Midwest Meltdown“? Maybe a Magic Mike kind of vibe with a tantalizing calendar of some band members? I mean people not just peoples' members, sheesh! Showbiz! Sell, sell sell! Maybe you should hire me as your chief marketer, Christopher. I will work erratically erotically incestuously incessantly to make sure that this event is known far and wide throughout the land!

Here is another type of event occurring in my environs these days- it's an Omaha Bikes meeting this Tuesday at 5:30 at UNO. I am hoping to attend and learn much about Omaha and/or bikes. Tally-ho, popheads!

No comments:

Post a Comment