Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cheap shots and cheap single speeds


February 24, 2013
A friend of mine recently inquired of me as to what type of bicycle I would recommend for him for "less than $300."  This is not an easy question for me, since I don't usually keep track of the latest types of bicycles available.  My first thought, since my friend lives in the Wichita area, was a  single speed.  Not many hills around.  Usually a little better bang for your buck in this genre.  Now I am going to check some reviews and see what I come up with.

Here are my picks in order of preference/preferance (avec accentes):
  1. Nashbar Single Speed Cyclocross Bike (currently $349) - I know it's not technically less than $300, but hey, that's a pretty low cut-off point.  Kind of scary to mail order a bike, but I've been pretty happy with all of the stuff I've purchased from the big N.
  2. Nekkid 4 Road Bike (currently $299.99) - same comments as above, except actually is less than $300.
  3. Redline Monocog 26 Singlespeed  (MSRP of $419.99) - Yep, way above the price range.  But you might actually be able to find one of these bad boys and take it out for a test ride.  Plus it looks bomb proof.  Or at least bomb resistant.
  4. SE Bikes Draft Single Speed Road Bike 12 (currently $199.99) - Crazy cheap, yo!  Might be alright?
  5. SE 29" Big Style ($299) - Cruiser?  Maybe, if you don't wanna go too far.  I'm guessing it would get kinda uncomfy for longer sojourns...
  6. Check Craig's Listing of Deals (CLOD) for some deals.  I think my buddy paid around $300 for a Trek Soho S (single speed, chain drive) that seems pretty okay.  
  7. Got some time, bike tools and an urge to tinker?  Get a cheap ass steel frame from a used bike shop/garage sale and convert it to a single speed with one of the many single speed conversion type kits.
On the opposite side of things, I heard the big handmade bicycle convention/jerk-off took place this past weekend.  I hope it was a blast... in yer face!  Yukkity yuk.  I know, I shouldn't make fun of cool-ass shit that I can't begin to appreciate with my cretinly tendencies.  But I'm snotty like that.

On the local scene I have recently been informed by my wife (a non-cyclist who is generally better-informed about local bicycle-related events than I), that there is a bikeswap occurring in Benson this upcoming weekend 11 a.m.-4 p.m. March 3 at the Bancroft Street Market near Lauritzen Gardens.  Sounds fantastic!  And a little less snooty than the handmade handjobbering hoe-down.  But I'll be wearing my safety glasses just in case.  See you there!

Oh, and I saw Premium Rush a few days ago.  Fun flick.  But, as usual, I have one gripe - where the F are the safety glasses!  I have never ridden a bicycle in NYC, but I imagine it's gritty and fumey.  I was very nervous throughout most of the film because I was worried about the actors eyeballs.  Also I would have liked someone to consummate some kind of sexual relationship in some sort of way.  Preferably while riding bicycles.  But I guess that's a different sub-genre of bicycle flim-flams.  The only time I tend to rush is close to bedtime.  Speaking of which... sweet dreams and see you next time!   Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment