Thursday, February 21, 2013

Winter of my content


February 21, 2013
Well I'm glad to be back home.  I went away for awhile to find my place in the sun.  My place in the sun turned out to be sunny, but also dusty, as shown here.
Hotel window sill/shelf, closed yet dusty.

I also saw this sweet-ass chariot of the gods lounging nonchalantly in the lobby of the gas station near the airport in Amarillo.
The blade attachment for mowing your lawn is optional, but highly recommended.

While in this part of the world, I of course made it a point to stop by the Blackwater Draw Museum, where I observed some of the Clovis points fashioned by the Clovis people around 9,500 years before present (B.P.).  Although the Clovis people did not use bicycles (as far as we know), they were supplanted by the fierce Folsom people who rode about on what may have been primitive roller skates.

Times have changed in the area formerly inhabited by the Clovis people.  A forested area is now a desert.  So, also, do times change for we, the USian, et al, peoples.  Returning from a sojourn often makes me even more sentimental than usual.  I rode past a place that had recently changed from this

to this.

Yes, the times, they are, ch-ch-changing.

And then on my way home the same place looked like this!
I'll give you a hint.  It's a restaurant.  Down under-styley, mate!  Crikey, it's the Outback!

Whoa!

I noticed it was snowy, but I just had to get out for a spin.

My time on a pair of Folsom roller skates had just not quite been as satisfying as my trusty time aboard the Old Bastard.  While cautiously navigating the slopey suburban streets, I heard someone say, "Why is someone riding their bicycle?"  I looked about curiously for this moron, only to realize it was possible that I was the subject of this tirade!  I would have responded, "Why are you talking about someone riding their bicycle instead of riding your bicycle?" or something equally bland, but I was too busy keeping my wheels underneath me.  Plus snappy retorts are not my forte.  Lengthy rambling, as you may already have gathered, is.  So grab yourself a nice toddy and peruse, or not, as you wish.  It is kind of wintery now, but I hear there are some springy events coming up.

Last year I enjoyed the inaugural Empyrean 5K Run at Camp Carol Joy Holling, and they are doing it again this year!  Yes, March 2 is the day for this hilly bundle of trail-running excitement/adventure.

There is also the usual Blarney Stone 5K on St. Paddy's Day, as well as the Leprechaun Chase [sold out] (or some such).  This event pits boys versus girls in the dream we all dream of - the world series of love.  Sort of.  The lithe lassies get a head start, then the wiry lads have a go at overtaking the lassies.  The triumphant gender (individual winner's gender) gets free drinks!  Ay!  Sounds like a pot a' gold ta this laddie/lassie (depending on who triumphs).  I will be prepared for either eventuality (possibly due to my tenure as a boy/girl scout as an impressionable youth/youthette).

I would ramble incoherently for quite awhile longer, but I just picked up Premium Rush from my neighborhood  video dispensing robot/friend.  Oh yes!  I think I've finally found a place in the sun (in my basement on a snowy night)!  Yabba-dabba-do-do-dooty!

No comments:

Post a Comment