Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Slow down and enjoy a fun and safe wait!

June 10, 2015
As immortalized in the combined wisdom of Art and Paul one should slow down, you’re moving too fast.
I rarely feel that this is a problem for me while bicycling; however, today I drank a lot of caffeine and left my workplace at the paper-cutting emporium a tad early to tend to some familial business.   This left me feeling giddy.  My giddiness was enhanced when I met up with a fellow bicycler who was bicycling along smartly on a fixed-gear bicycle. 
Please be forewarned, if you are a sensitive reader and/or an impatient one, the following section contains a long-winded narrative with no pictures and some profanity. 
====
As we took slightly different paths, we eventually reunited and headed towards a busy intersection on the multi-use trail.  I did not hurry, but was surprised that a) the young cyclist didn’t pass me and that b) the light was still green when I got there (or at least it was as far as I could tell, because it is hard to see the light once you get past a certain point on the multi-use trail).   Anyway, I calculated that even if the light began to turn yellow at the last point I noted its greenness, I’d still have enough time to bicycle safely through the intersection before the light changed and unleashed its potentially deadly flow! 
I have to say, it was somewhat exciting.  It is, I must admit based on the few times I’ve experienced it, sometimes fun to go fast.  It can also be dangerous, which is something I have become less and less enthusiastic about over the years.  That is why I am glad that the Old Bastard isn’t really built for speed (unless you are going fast and straight down a steep hill with a tailwind, in which case it's mass is a distinct velocity-boost). 
Back to my bicycling, I’m pretty sure the traffic flow began just as I crossed the midpoint of the intersection because I think the motorcyclist in the turn lane had to stop just as he started to go.  Luckily the intersection has a green arrow before the full intensity of oppositely travelling traffic resumes so, once I wasn’t hit by the motorcyclist, I was no longer threatened.  However, my young comrade on a human-powered two-wheeler was still behind me!  As I continued on my aggressive way the motorcyclist yelled something that sounded like, “That’s a good way to get hit, shithead!”
Indeed, motor-powered two-wheeling friend.  In-fucking-deedy-do. 
====
I felt bad.  I have heard there are old climbers and bold climbers, but no old and bold climbers.  The same may be true of bicycler commuters.  Plus I was so busy pedaling I didn't take any fun photos along the way.  I hope I’ve learned my lesson…..again.  Thank you for noticing us bicyclers, motorists!



And on a brighter note, here are some sweet touring bikes.  I often imagine myself riding on a bicycle tour somewhere scenic with few intersections and red lights.  Maybe the Canadian Rockies.  Or Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment