Thursday, July 16, 2015

Another owl gives a hoot!

July 15, 2015
Hello to you.  I hope you are doing well.  I had a change in plans and was able to make it out for some owl riding this past weekend.  “How did this happen?” you ask?  You don’t ask?
Well boo-whooo!  Whoooo!
Here is a video of the OWL Ride from a handy side street:

It was a neat vantage point.
I did not initially think I would be able to make it out for the ride because Teen Snot is typically at work on Saturday eves.  This week it turned out she did not have to work, but I didn’t find out until Saturday eve itself!  If there is one thing I have noticed, it is that parents are nearly as oblivious of others and their plans as teenagers.  Thereupon I sounded a quick owlish alert to my OWL-loving friend Rich.  We quickly flew from our perches and eventually alit here at the Crescent Moon – 

a quaint watering hole conveniently located upon the OWL route.  But before I made it that far I stopped to enjoy some nightly views, misinform passers-by, and take a bad photo.


“What’s the ride for?” a curious, gangly fellow inquired.
“For fun!” I responded, nothing else coming readily to mindedly.
“Fun?”
“Yep.” I confirmed, more confidently.

Well, it wasn’t long before I began reflecting upon this unlikelihood.  Fun is something we midwesterners look upon with suspicion and/or disdain.  Furthermore, I do not believe I have ever partaken in a non-competitive group bicycling event that did not support a charitable organization of some sort.  So here is my attempt to rectify the fuck $#%@ out of my blatant untruth.

The OWL Ride raises funds for the Meyers Foundation for Disabilities (MFD).  MFD improves the quality of life for those with disabilities by providing financial and volunteer support to help adults with disabilities engage in fun, social activities at the Munroe-Meyer Institute that they otherwise might not be able to participate in.  Not only does this provide a great opportunity for our disabled friends, but it allows their families a small break in their caregiving routine.  Here is some more information about this wonderful organization.

Our friend Nick joined us on this night flight.  As Nick arrived so too did a fellow in a Gatormobile.  He informed us that the water stops and police presence were being discontinued. 
“You guys’ll be alright, right!?” he queried jocularly. 
“I think so.”  I replied uncertainly.
I had a delicious Belgian beer.

We conversed.  We examined the route map.  We eventually departed.
We stopped at Beer and Loathing.  They also had a New Begium bicycle.  

I once drank several beers to earn some raffle tickets to try to win one of these sweet cruisers.  They raffle them off annually or so.      
We cycled on, occasionally noting some other bicyclers, generally moving in a similar direction.  

Eventually we made it back to the beginning and had a beer at the Storz Trophy Room Brewery and Restaurant. 

Rich and Nick said there weren’t as many people as last year, and, therefore, not quite as festive.  I think everyone had fun.  And Rich told me about this freaky video.
If we can make toast with bicycles, what else can we do?!  Perhaps a microwave?!?  I think there really is hope for the human and/or bicycle race!  Let's toast!
BSO

No comments:

Post a Comment