Friday, June 24, 2011

Adventurette de Taquito...... GOOOOAAAAL!


June 24, 2011
Say what you will about the hazards (i.e., intoxicated bicyclists) of the Thursday night taco ride in Council Bluffs, Iowa, I find that each ride is a minor adventure. An adventurette, if you will, which is not quite as good as an adventuress, but better than a coquette.

Yesterday's ride started off with some vigorous pedaling with my stalwart father and bicycling roll-model. Yuckitty, yuck. (I'll put that 50 cents wherever I want to, damn it!) We made it to Margaritaville, and none too soon. It was not an easy multi-task as we browsed on succulently sweet mulberries and drank beer. We were like happy, bicycling sun bears (Ursus malayanus). As usual there was plenty of socializing to be had at this lovely wayside haven. We met a college student who immediately offered us swigs of a drink called "Four Loko." It was similar to Robitussen (a favorite of my dad and me).
"That's good." I stated.
The young woman didn't seem to agree.
"It's not bad when it's cold," she allowed.
Me and Dad quickly chugged the last of the beverage, and the young woman seemed relieved. She held the 24 oz. can horizontally while her large partner Brett crushed the can with his shoulder blades(!)
"That was awesome!" I gushed.
Melinda snorted and explained that no, it really wasn't. Brett concurred. Melinda was scheduled for a multi-day bicycling trip with some friends along the Cowboy Trail in northern Nebraska.  Despite having never ridden more than 50 miles in a single day, she was about to embark upon a 4-day ride averaging about 70 miles/day! I was impressed by her intrepidity (but I would expect nothing less from an International Studies major with a minor in German and Spanish)
.
We made it to the lovely Mineola Steakhouse and enjoyed an outdoor dinner with yet more socializing.

I met a man who explained that, although the personable and ubiquitous Greg Losh is often credited as being the instigator of the infamous Taco Ride, it should more accurately be attributed to the shy and retiring author of Biking Iowa, Bob Morgan.
"Fascinating, simply fas-cinating." I said sincerely.
After eating, meeting a local television weatherman and chatting with people about our fabulous bicycle jerseys (Team Nobby - MS Bike Ride, Nebraska - July 8 & 9), we ate and started back.

During a pee break on the return trip, we happened upon a vacant log cabin with a moonshine still. The old man and I cautiously sampled several quarts. Hmm. Not bad, but it could use some mulberries. Although the old timer was unfazed, I became unabashedly impaired and swerved precipitously homewards, giddily slapping low to medium fives at oncoming bicycle traffic.
When we reached the trailhead, my disgusted father lovingly dumped a bucket of ice water over my head and then shoved some coffee grounds into my water bottle and bid me good eve.

(exaunt Snot and Ancestor)
(sunset, sunrise)

Ahh, the lovely Crispus rumex in its autumnal-esque, early summer glory.


Today I was able to get the Old Bastard out for a slightly less-than-usually encumbered (i.e., sporty) ride.


Then on my way home, the versatile OB became a kind of porterette, as I cycled proudly home with a multi-tool bungee-corded to my trusty Blackburn mountain rack.



Yes, quite the series of events to ponder during my exuberant Friday evening of yard work. And if that weren't enough, methinks a tale from the bard doth cry out for reenactment this magical fortnight. Yes, of course it is that time of year where the beloved Shakespeare on the Green takes place at the lovely Elmwood Park. The current experience is called A Midsummer's Night Dream. 

It has also come to my attention that the good ol' US of A (aka sombrero alto de Mexico) will be competing against Mexico in an upcoming match of South American futbol (con accento y !!, tu quatro loko!) That's right, tomorrow at 8 there will be many excited exclamations by Univision announcers as the event commences around 8 p.m. CDT. The winner will be expected to drink the Golden Cup!  (I predict a USA win, since it is closer to the 4th of July than the Cinco de Mayo - and I'll bet you a shot of El Toro on that one!)

Here's to a great weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment