Sunday, June 5, 2011

Urban Adventure Race! Team Wheezy!!


June 5, 2011
The days leading up to the Great Gooduckit Goring (aka Ultimate Omaha Urban Adventure Race) were filled with anticipation. I was so excited that I kept on the move, making preparations for the t-shirt design I had dreamt of for so long. I went to a micro-brewery and got the Old B as nice of a parking spot as he's probably ever had.

Soon to appear (fingers crossed!) at one of my inspirations - ecovelo.com
Then I swung by the store to get some v-necked t-shirts for our Team Wheezy uniforms. I noticed that a local restaurant was also hosting a Bike Night. Some pretty nice rides... if you're too rich and elderly to pedal your way to glory like the rest of us 2-wheelin' shmoes.

Then I met up with my teammates, Rich and Nick the night before the race. We carb-loaded and designed some sweet-ass uniforms.


The race was great!

We started off weak and ended in a consistent manner. The Wheezy way. We did receive many compliments on our t-shirts, with our individualized names inked onto the front - Sleazy, Eazy, and Cheezy.

Big hit. Until I mentioned to the all-female group of Stop, Drop and Roll (the soon-to-be penultimate finishers in front of us, in the parking garage) that each of us also had our own team-related names. After I told them our names, they chuckled uncomfortably and I tried to give them some space so they wouldn't be any more creeped out than they might be already. We were able to finish dead last, but finish we did, much to the perturbation of the toe-tapping, wrist-watch watching volunteer race staff.

Then we made it to the tail end of the New Belgium supplied after-race party.

When the keg was tapped out, a cocktail rounded out our recovery meal.

Although our gooduckit was served up Sloppy Joe style, we were able to eat it up with relish and we vowed to keep the Wheezy spirit alive for at least another few months or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment