Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Library is where it is at!

What is going on, more like what isn't going on!? My Big Gay Italian Wedding is approaching it's final weekend at SNAP Productions. The College World Series and a downtown water park are being installed this weekend. The Bruins won the Stanley Cup (and start the pre-season in 2 weeks). Vancouver is harshing it's own gig (which [to my understanding, having never actually been there] is being chillactastic). Dictators refuse to be removed. A tumultuous time indeed.
In times like these, it is very comforting to know that many of us are able to take shelter in one of the pride and joys of the American tax contributor - the public library! Yes, it is probably the best investment of funds since they hired Badly Drawn Boy to perform at the Red Sky Festival in the beautiful canals of downtown Omaha (hint, hint). Here are some photos of the peace and serenity that we reverently call "library."


I may have an extra special appreciation for this home due to my recent discovery of the graphic novels section (now I know where the hell those lovely Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman reside)! All those pictures make reading so much easier.  Although I am blessed with a home, I am seriously considering spending all of my free time at the library. You probably should too. Check out this landscaping.

And bicyclists are welcome to practice some sweet freestylin' moves/trials exercises on these obstacles/benches/sculptures, as evidenced by this sign.

Just thinking about it makes me wanna finish my beer, scarf down a quick garden-fresh salad and pedal spastically towards this haven of hospitality.
After my satisfying library experience, I made it back home in time to slip on some Neonduhrrthal slippers

and pad my way over to the local sports bar to grab a copy of the local entertainment newsrag. It was during this expedition that I noticed some of my tree friends were marked with numbers. Damn tree-hating naztris. Luckily there is someone to stand up for our quiet friends. That's right, luckily the Lorax's sister, Lorsaw takes care of the trees in our region (Eastern North America - as denoted in the Golden Guide to the Trees of North America). She was kind enough to pose for a photo for me, too. Here it is.
I think she said that spray paint was biodegradable...
As some of you may not know, this upcoming weekend is the Rollin' to Colon ride here in eastern Nebraska. You can ride a variety of distances in a relatively tranquil portion of the state, raise some money for colon cancer, and visit Colon, Nebraska. Not a bad way to spend a Father's Day, eh?
I was also informed by my local newspaper that Omaha now had some B-cycles that you could rent to cruise around some of the more happenin' areas of town. Rates are approximately $5/hour, then $1.25 per hour after that. I'm pretty sure these are the same bikes that I rode during Omaha's Ultimate Urban Adventure and I have to say that I am a big fan. Large front basket (probably holds about a 12-pack), stable, and it's got a few gears. Comfy ride for some bar hopping/casual about-towning.

No comments:

Post a Comment