Monday, July 11, 2011

Nebraska MS Bike Ride 2011

July 10, 2011
This weekend I was excited to partake in the Nebraska MS Bike Ride.

This enjoyable, well-organized event takes place every year, and this year went from Omaha to Lincoln on Day 1 and back to Omaha on Day 2 (shorter riding options also available).  I think about 300 riders participated this year.

Since I had recently pulled a back muscle lifting a tote full of my homemade ginger beer, I rode even more slowly than usual, and was soon tactfully ditched by my usual bicycling comrade, Rich.


Around lunch time I pulled my secret weapon from my saddle bag - a shot of a nutritional supplement called "Eight Ball." This little orange-flavored beauty contains 8333% of the US RDA of B-12 and some caffeine, and provided me with a feeling of invincibility and well-being that allowed me to continue happily along on my carefree journey. I also provided my father with erroneous directions as to the longest route available to us charity bicyclists - this was completely unintentional, but did allow me not to have to once again have my butt kicked by my dad in a non-competitive cycling event.

I rode with a very nice group of people from Lincoln for a time, when all of a sudden a playful slapping of a cyclist's rump by his buddy triggered a single rider crash. Thankfully the cyclist was uninjured.

This wasn't the first time I have witnessed horseplay leading to a bicycling accident. Just recently on a Thursday night taco ride I witnessed two young cyclists directing kung fu-type kicks and punches at one another until one of them kind of half-endoed over the bars and onto his shoulder off to the side of the path. I now feel entitled to pontificate upon the subject. When I become old and grumpier, I will probably start lecturing youngsters involved in these sorts of hi-jinks on the spot, so I may as well get some practice in now.
Although it is no longer bicycle safety month (May) or national safety month (June), it is National Ice Cream Month. So grab a bowl of ice cream and visualize yourself bicycling with an absence of horseplay and an abundance of safety. You may also eat an ice cream cone while bicycling safely, as long as you are focused more on safe cycling than the ice cream. You will also probably get sticky.

Since I was cycling solo through the majority of the first day of the ride, I was also able to enjoy some one on one interaction with area motorists. As a self-proclaimed bicycle diplomat to motorists, I am pleased to present a new section of my blog called "The Bicycle/Pickup-truck Round Table."

Bicycle/Pickup-truck Round Table
To: Driver of one of many red pickup-trucks (Nebraska's percentage of red pickup-trucks is 83.33% higher than the national average) on Highway 66 on the north edge of Ashland.
From: BikeSnot

You flipped me the bird. Sentiment noted.

To: Driver of a blue pickup hauling furniture southbound on Highway 77 between Ceresco and Lincoln, Nebraska license plate PET 328 or similar.
From: BikeSnot

You honked at me as I was riding on the highway shoulder just as you passed me. Your honking means that you are a silly, honking goose. Geese belong in Canada (e.g., America's drum major hat) this time of year. Please take note of your surroundings and re-join your fellow geese.

Please e-mail me any bicycle/pickup-truck thoughts you may have. Or just come over for some ginger beer and a heart to heart.

The receding water tower of Ceresco appeared in many forms during the ride. 

View of the receding water tower of Ceresco from the St. Mary and St. Patrick Cemetary (italics mine) on Agnew Road west of Ceresco.
I eventually pedaled into Lincoln, where I was pleased to see some public art with a bicycle theme. 

When I arrived at the finish, I was greeted by the phenomenal MS Ride volunteers.  I wasn't able to fully express the joy and gratitude I felt upon my arrival after about 10.5 hours of pedaling. 

I enjoyed the after-ride dinner and party and chit-chatted with my former partner Rich and my MS ride companeros (con tilda! you bastard!) Chris and Carol.  Fat Tire and Third Stone Brown beers were available in abundance.  I also met some members of the long-riding team known as the Chiefs and two lovely Chiefs who had finished the non-competetive century ride route in 1st and 2nd place (female division, the guys weren't so lovely).

Day 2 was a sweaty sufferfest with managable temperatures (highs around 93), but uncomfortable humidity (high around 90 percent) with little to no breeze.  I pedaled steadfastedly onwards until I encountered this water stop/oasis of cool tranquility.


I was revived by a cool water hosing and continued onwards towards the day 2 finish where I was rewarded by some food, comardarie and a beer.  I'm not sure about your world view, but from mine this was pretty darn good living!

Thanks to all who participated in this glorious event.

Next up on my organized cycling agenda is the 2nd annual Owl Ride.  Should be a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment