Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tight Shorts, Big Appetite

July 30, 2012
As I recently did not mention, I took an extended break from my web-based opinionating in order to vacation in Wichita, Kansas. My travel agent

had made me an offer I could not refuse:  an all-inclusive, 2-week long stay at the Comfort Inn in Wichita, where I would be near the heart of the National Junior Olympics event. The weather was beyond balmy (we even set an all-time Wichita record on July 27 - 110 degrees F-ing-heit) and I was able to enjoy a few $5 martinis. I also made it to a local gym where I did some swimming to relieve my sore muscles and joints. The pool was cool, relaxing and enjoyable. I even started to get my flip turns back into barely functional form. While returning to my luxury suite after the workout, I was eyed curiously by some passing motorists. Perhaps it was due to my spandexciting shorts.

As I enjoyed a $5 martini, a man in spandex asked me if I needed a date. Yes, it seems that perhaps spandex is one of the fabrics of choice amongst male street-walkers in Wichita. That evening I got the munchies and met up with Michael Phelps' junior-Olympian younger brother Eugene as we fed multiple bills into the hotel snack machine. We discussed my experiences, and I was laughingly informed that strutting in spandex along the busy roads of Wichita was indeed an invitation to questionable interactions.

I often imagine people coming up to me and asking me what I eat in order to stay in my somewhat fit condition. Well, here is an example, recommended by my uncle, a BRAN-veteran.

Yes, garden produce has become quite plentiful here, and I am eating tomatoes on anything and everything. This noon I enjoyed an omelette with tomatoes, peppers and garlic along with more peanut butter and tomato sandwiches for breakfast. I am seriously considering participating in the BRAN ride next year. To that end, I may be considering the purchase of some type of road bike to make the journey a bit easier. Here are two of my current favorites that I am considering.
Jamis Aurora
Salsa Casseroll
Specialized Roubaix

Please let me know if you have one of these bikes that you would be willing to trade for one gently used 2000 Chevy Metro (only 126,000 miles on the odometer).

No comments:

Post a Comment