Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bison hunting or bicycling?

November 15, 2011
Well, if yours was like mine, it was a weekend filled with many leaves and needles (of the piney variety). 

I was lucky enough to be invited to a little dinner soiree (avec accente, no?) this last Sunday, when the dignified host inquired as to my pastimes. I stated that I was into bicycling. His response was,
"Where do you get those?"
I sought to clarify, "While, I generally ride my 20 year old bike for commuting..."
Now it was his turn for confusion, "I thought you said 'bison hunting'!"

His misunderstanding was understandable, especially due to the dinner conversation which had touched heavily upon hunting, this being fall on the Great Plains.

Although I have not hunted bison, I was quite happy to exercise my right to bare arms while bicycling homewards yesterday. Yes, it was a slightly crisp autumnal eve and it felt quite invigorating to be living the short-sleeved life in November.

As for actual bison hunting, I did see a show on Discovery channel about a guy who was trying to recreate some of Lewis and Clark's activities. I think he got a bison, with the assistance of a tribal bison herd manager/guide. Not as much luck building the dugout boat, though (a lot of time and skill to burn and hollow out those cottonwood trunks).

I think most herds are privately owned these days. Yes, under the generally benevolent and infrequently bovicidal care of shaggy cowboys. Ever had one of those buffalo burgers up at your local midwestern state park!?  Mmmmm-hmmmm.  That ain't no ostrich burger, hoss!

Prior to the bison talk, I made it out to Tranquility Park with the undaunted Rich for some more mountain bike riding. Here is my favorite section of trail out there. It's bumpy! Weeeeeee!

As for my bitching about a lack of Thanksgiving decorations, here is what may be an inflated, glowing turkey decoration (note two large radioactive orange [pumpkin?] sherbet scoops under her wings) that I've been eyeing lately.

I'm pretty sure it's been eyeing me back.

Here's a somewhat hard to follow song about bison.

And here's one that highlights a turkey.

Well, I missed the annual Cranksgiving ride again this year, but I will try to get out there next year because it seems like a good time. Hope all you Crankies enjoyed it.

How about some bike gear chat?  For all of you who enjoy reading reviews of gear before and/or after you buy it I submit for your consideration the Bike Nashbar mountain bike panniers.  One review informed me that these panniers may slide forward on your rack, and indeedy-do, they do occasionally do so, doh si doe.  Here is my finally finalized solution-
Not nearly as bad as all the sewing and jerry rigging I had to do to get my last stuff-comporter to stay aboard.
One last bit of bike dorkiness.  I felt pretty happy one day when I noticed this feature on Google maps -


Watch out for the turkey traffic and get bare those arms, just make sure you've got a license for them guns!

 
 
 
 
the bicycling route-finder (on the "Traffic" drop-down menu, if you haven't noticed) is actually pretty darn good for finding less trafficky ways from A to B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment