Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fall lumen large

November 1, 2011
I was once again predictably befuddled by the upcoming daylight losing time. After some long, slow, Eeyore-esque pondering, I've come to the conclusion that it will get dark earlier in the evening, which means that it will also get bright earlier in the morning. This brightness is generally not early enough for this early extrapolator, however, and so we turn to the hot topic of the shortening day - bicycle headlights. Yes, everywhere you go, bicyclists are elucidating others about lumens and battery types with unselfconscious gusto. So I am about to dive into this brightly shining pool of knowledge with no clothes on. Night swimming. Just like the R.E.M. song!

Here are some things that I have just managed to learn about bicycle lights.
Nevermind. Didn't really learn much. I find that I can see pretty well with my mature Nite Rider Headtrip.  It's not super bright, but I don't ride that fast, so we're a good match.  Nowadays there are many brighter options. Here are some websites which expostulate at length about the merits and demerits of various bright and focused models of illumination.
  1. Lumicycle (UK) overview of some lighting options
  2. LED bike lights shootout (Mtbr.com)
  3. Liberterian-esque DIY dissertation about bicycle lighting 
Speaking of libertarians, I noticed while trick or treating the other night that a person with a Ron Paul sign posted in their yard also sported a pool table in their living room.  This led me to inform my nearly 2-year old niece that libertarians have pool tables in their living rooms.  So if you are a libertarian and you have a living room, maybe you should get a pool table.  Or if you have a pool table in your living room, maybe you are a libertarian at heart.  Search your souls, seekers of truth.  Seek lumeningly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment