Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkeyboy up, bicyclists!


November 25, 2011
It has been foggy around the bicycling environs I frequent as of late.

Foggy and unseasonably warm, as evidenced by the many smiling pedestrians out and about. 

Although I have seen many pedestrians, I have missed the company of fellow cyclists, since I don't seem to encounter many on my usual routes. To get back in touch with my two-wheeling comrades, I participated in the Thanksgiving Eve bicycling experience beginning and ending at the White House Bar and Grill. This is a fun, gregarious group, kind of a smaller version of the Taco Ride experience. I think it's normally every Thursday during the fall/winter months. Team Amnesia is well represented. Here is the festive fleet before take-off.



We had an enjoyable trip down to Winchester's Bar and Grill and back. Here's some fog we encoutered.


and here's some public art I stopped to appreciate on the return trip.


Apparently produced by a members of the Kent Bellows Studio and Center for Visual Arts and the Neighborhood Center. Good work y'all.

Kent Bellows is a controversial artist from here in Omaha. We never used to have many of those around here. Now there are some (generally of the mild variety), such as Tim Kasher, lead singer of Cursive and The Good Life. I'm pretty sure that Omaha and controversy are as good together as tomato and peanut butter, so slap 'em together and take a big ol' bite! I am actually unaware of T.K. being involved in controversy, but he seemed like the sort who would be when I was enjoying Cursive's set at this past summer's Maha festival.

Being in a mood to appreciate art, I made it down to Hot Shops where I noticed at least one artist had a bicycle sitting outside of her studio.





 A basic, practical mode of conveyance.  At least that's one thing we can agree upon.  Right?  Wrong!  Upon closer inspection I noticed it was a Huffy Roadmaster.  I imagine it's got some kind of mechanical problem even as I type! Go ahead, Huffy Roadmaster lovers, disagree! You might as well get a human-powered scooter. It might be a little slower, but definitely more reliable. So if you are a starving artist, you might consider trying to trade your Huffy + a work of art for a bicycle at another type of "hot shop" aka your local pawn shop. Or maybe a scooter or a skateboard. If you know a starving artist, maybe you can donate a "gently used" bicycle (of a non-Huffy variety) to them for their comfort and/or sanity if they are actually going to comport themselves hither and yon upon one of these two-wheeled machines on a regular basis. Or maybe you could get a bicycle building artist to take up residence and get some wheelin' and dealin' goin'. Wheel on!

No comments:

Post a Comment