Saturday, December 10, 2011

Slowdown and get out

December 10, 2011
As a frequent bicycle commuter I have encountered serious amounts of indifference and bewilderment amongst many commuters using other modes of travel. It is not that common for me to meet up with other bicyclists during my average day. However, up until last week I had a friend and mentor at the old rubber stamp making factory who is an avid bicycle commuter. Unfortunately we are no longer employed at the same agency. This is diplo-talk for "he got shit-canned." Of course I wish him the best. He will have to find gainful employment elsewhere, and I will have to adjust to not having anyone around to borrow socks and underwear from when I happen to forget them. Less commiseration and communication. Less bike geeking. I will probably start to talk to non-bicyclists about bicycles more. Talk to myself more. You get the drift.

I understand that heartless corporations often fire good people. But I must admit that I'm not really sure why Surly started making this bicycle, called the Moonlander.

Yes for the throngs of bicyclists who find that the Pugsley is not a wide enough load, they can now choose a bike that blows out the confining jeans of the "Fat Bike" category and establishes its own very wide niche which will inevitably be known as the "Obese Bike." I talked to a guy at the local sporting goods store about it after he set my skis set up. He bought one and said that it is hard to pedal on regular surfaces, obviously more so in snow.

As I have recently contracted an ailment which enables my natural laziness to really hit its stride, I am now participating in several actively lazy groups such as "Tea Time for Troglodytes"

and "Tea with Krumping."

Although tea with crumping sounds quite strenuous, both TTT and TwK are actually more sedentary than my previous forays into high-impact activities like bird-watching and gardening. This is due to the fact that the krumping portion of TwK is optional, and I prefer merely to observe from a stodgy, non-participatory seated position. Speaking of gardening, I am sorry to report that tomato season is winding down and I will probably have to find something else to pair with bread and peanut butter for my snacking tendencies.

Currently my favorite tea is Yogi's ginger tea, which is "good for digestion." So let's eat the last of the PB and T sandwiches, then kick back with a cup o' tea and some conversation, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment