Sunday, February 26, 2012

100 and rolling!

February 26, 2012
Have you ever been surprised to discover that you liked something a whole lot when you weren't exactly crazy about the idea in the first place? No? Well, me neither. But I've always loved bicycling. And web-logging (aka "'blogging). Before I knew there was such a thing as "'blogging," I used to participate in things like mini-comics and low-budget "literary" magazines. Both of these things require actual interaction with real people. Face to face! Whaaa!? Well, those days are behind me now, as I sit happily alone in my basement and expound upon the joys of bicycling-related experiences. When I first undertook to produce this Bike Snob NYC-inspired undertaking, I did not realize how addictive it would be. Can you believe that this is my 100th "'blogging" venture? Yeah, "why?" is a natural reaction, but if you have to ask "why?" then you'll never understand, so splueiajahhaha to you!

It was a good week for bicycling around town. I went forth to the local sports bar to pick up a copy of the local "out and about" newspaper (aka The Reader). It was there that some type of vehicle engaged in some staccato honking. Was this outburst directed at me and my flashy illuminati (i.e., Tire Sparx, Superflash, Headtrip, and Catseye)? If you were the honker and I was the honkee, then here is some news for you: I am a bicyclist whose mentality is similar to that of a shy, respectable girl's. In other words, honking, hooting, whistling, etc. are not good ways of getting my attention. Instead they are slightly annoying and suspicious behaviors. I'm pretty sure that you were just jealous of my sweet nighttime rig. That's understandable, but you could always get some type of illegal ground lighting setup. If you would like to communicate with me, please feel free to find my "'blog" and leave a comment. I will be sure to respond with as much thought/sincerity as I can muster (varies depending on the circumstances).

Like me, I'm sure that many of you also enjoy bicycling around and about in slightly snowy/rainy conditions. It lets you know that you are alive! (Hheeehh, [creepy-sounding breathing]). Although bicycling through a snowy park is truly enjoyable, sometimes in the summer it is just not a readily available activity. That is one of the reasons why I was happy to fasten my trusty camera to my helmet with a Gorillapod in order to record the following excursion for posterity.

I was recently informed of a well-constructed website that lists most of the "endurance" sporty events in Nebraska. Have a look-see?

It was pretty nice out today. I was able to enjoy some bicycling. I saw some kids throwing bread at some ducks. A dog barked at a treed squirrel. Good job, boy! You too, dog!

Many of us bicyclists enjoy expounding upon the dubious accomplishment known to human-powered two-wheeling enthusiasts as a "century." For non-bicyclists, this is the act of bicycling for 100 miles in a single day in a more or less continuous manner (breaks for meals, rest, bodily functions and conjugal visits are generally allowed). While a century can indeed be a formidable undertaking and life-affirming accomplishment, I (like many bicyclists and athletes in general) enjoy comparing active experiences to regular experiences. To that end, I feel like completing 100 blogs is my personal equivalent of a century ride. This is perhaps generous- considering each blog to be the equivalent of a single mile. Some of the blogs are more like jumping on the bike and spinning down to the convenient store for a beer and getting back home to sit in the basement and watch a movie. That's alright. Sometimes just getting outside and rotating the rubber is what matters. Sometimes I might even roll backwards a little, but eventually I usually either fall over or move ahead. A lot like life. (insert emotional, inspiring soundtrack). How will the next 100 be? I don't know. Thanks for the trip so far. I look forward to many more rotations.

See you on the road!

BSnot!

No comments:

Post a Comment