Saturday, February 18, 2012

Run, slide, repeat

February 18, 2012
What makes getting up early on a Saturday fun? Well, it depends on who you are. But I had fun getting up early today so that I could participate in the inaugural Empyrean 5K run out at Camp Carol Joy Holling, near Ashland, Nebraska. I wandered around a bit and took some photos before the run.

Nice booties!
The run started when this snowperson was ceremoniously shoved off the balcony of the old-timey dining area.


The run was the hardest 5K that I have ever been on. That is probably because most of the 5Ks I've been on have been flat and paved. This was neither. Here are some of my highlights:
  1. Running through the snow past very slow runners just after the start of the run
  2. Falling down on a slightly slippery downhill section
  3. Having lunch with my dear aunt
  4. Drinking some beer
Falling down is something that I have a fair bit of experience with, so it didn't really slow me down much. There were a few stream crossings (with plank or log options, if you prefer not to get too soggy).

A runner that was in front of me became seemed a little demoralized as we encountered a slightly uphill slog through a muddy cornfield. The weather was very nice. It was pretty muddy. I thought I might have a heart attack, since I am no Jim Fixx and he still had a heart attack. I think the food was provided by Lazlo's Restaurant and Brewery. Beer cheese soup, salad and pulled pork sandwiches. Ah. Good times.

Camp CJH is a Lutheran Camp. As such, the event was officially Christ-sanctioned, which made me feel quite safe and maybe a tad less angry than usual while running, which was a nice feeling. Empyrean Brewing Company brewed a Luther Lager specifically for the event.

It was quite quaffable. Glad to see a little zip in protestant get-togethers these days.

Camp CJH is also home to a good-looking high ropes course.
A guy named Jason ran the course in about 30 minutes in paleo-slippers! I was impressed with this feat and told him so.

Since my friends are is not really running-oriented, I generally do the Han Solo minus Chewie mission to these types of events. This time, though, I met up with a co-worker at the sausage-making factory where I am currently break-evenly employed. He also likes to run occasionally and is moderately active like me! This is probably good, but it might cause me to get out to more of these events, which I'm already slightly addicted to. Hopefully I will be able to cope.

Might be time for an afternoon nap!  Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment