Saturday, December 29, 2012

2012-Post DD Reflections/Product Endorsements


December 29, 2012
As the end of the year nears, it behooves us to look back on the events of the past 360-odd days and react appropriately.  You may be hanging your head in shame with a rueful smile upon your face.  Or you may be excited, like me, because you have a brand new mini-me around to inflict your beliefs and general presence upon!

Prior to the arrival of Mini-Snot, I was out for a bicycle ride in some inclement weather.  It required a good deal of focus, an unfamiliar state for me.  I dabbed here, slid there.  Got on the sidewalks for a more predictable type of ice-free snow.  I took some photos.  Possibly even made a video (it was about 10 days ago and my memory typically deletes items that aren't in use after 5 days or so).  The reason I can't bore you any more details about this enjoyable event is because when I was attempting to re-pocket the trusty Pentax WG-1 I apparently missed!  I noted the lack of camera in my pocket as I neared my abode of homeliness.  Drat!  I cursed while the storm intensified and I unsuccessfully attempted to twirl my frozen mustachios.  Yes, I did backtrack to the last location(s) I recalled actually/possibly having possession of my techno buddy; yes, my Niterider 700 MiNewt battery eventually failed; but no, I didn't find my camera.  It was good well it lasted.  Which brings me to a segment that is required to be found in any bicycle-related text or thought processes everywhere - the product review.  Or in this case reviews.


  1. Pentax WG-1:  great.  tough.  not so great in low light.  small enough to be quickly buried in near-blizzard-like conditions.
  2. Maxxis Overdrive Tyres:  love 'em.  great traction on the cornering.  tread on rear tyre lasts about 2 years under regular commuting use on heavy, moderately loaded bicyclist bicycle (approximately 7,000 kilometres/4,200 miles).  
  3. Sun-Ringle Rhyno Lite wheel rims:  these are pretty dang tough!  I am a horrible bicyclist that crashes fairly often.  I very seldom have to worry about truing a wheel since I started using these.  I use them on both my dirt mountain bicycle and my commuting mountain bicycle.  Can be challenging getting new tyres to fit on these rather wide rims.  Don't like wrasslin' tyres?  Well, would you rather replace a rim every time a poorly-timed bunny-hop sends your unsuspended rear wheel crashing into a curb or log and your careless arse cart-wheeling skywards?!  Sheesh!

Please note that one or more of these items has been/will soon be discontinued.  This is due to the fact that I don't really want to make a habit of opining about products unless I have spent significant amounts of time using them.

Shwew!  Enough of that!  I was getting bored reading those before I even finished typing about them.  Which is not to say that I don't heartily endorse all 3 of these products.

So as you may have noticed, today is the eighth day after the Mayan apocalypse/doomsday.  Which I like to refer to as DD+8.  And if you were out partying, then you may have been the ones responsible for the sweet shindigs at the Mayan temples.  I heard that dude totally wiped out when he was riding his mountainous bicycle down that crumbling stairway!  Awesome!  Wish I coulda been there, but I was busy enjoying the luxurious hospital-provided roll-away bed offered to new fathers.

Well here's to a great 2013 for you and your family and friends (drinks shot of Elijah Craig whiskey).

P.S.:  Hey!  Could representatives of the products I have endorsed in this post please send me a check?  Anything's appreciated.  I've got a Baby Snot to help support here!

No comments:

Post a Comment