Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Bicycling Bliss! Lincoln, NE?


May 21, 2013
A few days ago I engaged in what for me and many of us bicyclers is an enjoyable excursion - bicycling upon a paved multi-use trail for the first time!  To say I enjoyed it would be a bit of an understatement.  In fact, I am pumping up my tube as I type just thinking about the experience.  I have a foot pump, so it's pretty easy.  There are many names associated with the route that I used to travel from near 84th and Havelock, where I drove my car with my trusty steed Shifty attached, to the city campus of Cornhucking.  As you may recall, I have recently been self-appointed to the position of bike czar for the University of Nebraksa-Linkingham and I am literally drunk with the power.  But before I get to the be-czariness of it all, here is a visual representation of the trail I pedaled through on my way to my czardom.

If there is one another thing that we bicyclers like to pump their tubes for, it is an abundance of signage.











Based on my experiences on the John Dietrich, Murdock, and Shanda Dixon Trails, there are plenty of signs to guide one during their sojourns in our stately capitol.  I even beheld the elusive quadruple stacker

(granted two of them go together, but a triple stacker ain't too bad either, eh, old hoss?)!

It was a joyous Xcapade escapade indeed.

Then I got onto campus/my czardom where I beheld many happy bicyclers such as this one.

I also witnessed some bicycle segregation.


 Also the Huffy pictured above appears to have been the subject of some bullying, as evinced by the detached pedal in the lower left foreground.  C'mon, silver-medalers!  We are better than this!
Good to see crazy-ass locking to the rail still flies at Abel-Sandoz!  Party on!
Luckily I encountered a young lady with a parasol who brightened my mood before I returned to my vehicle via the John Dietrich, Murdock, and Shanda Dixon Trails.

Unfortunately the next day I witnessed the aftermath of a bicycle-car collision.

Thankfully it appeared to have been at relatively slow speeds, and the young lady on the bicycle was able to walk her bike away from the scene of the accident.  The motorist stopped and interacted with the bicycler in what seemed to be a civil manner and I felt it was probably as good a conclusion to an unfortunate event as could be expected.  

Anyway, thank you for riding safely and please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

                                                                              Respectfully submitted,
                                                                              Your humble czar

No comments:

Post a Comment