Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bikes, Quilts, Challenges? Hmmmm.

August 6, 2013
As you may or may not know, today may or may not be August 6, depending upon where you are and when you read this.  But do you or don’t you know that there are many options for logging your bicycle commuting miles and feeling like a part of a commuterty/communter team/make up your own cutesy phrase?  Although I was aware of and may have commented upon this one previously, I became aware of this other one thanks to my local library, where I had previously mistakenly believed that my garage door openerhad been ganked.  Subsequently I realized that it was in my other pannier.  Subsequent to that I washed my garage door opener in a pair of my shorts and now it doesn’t work.  So there!  The Heartland Commuter Challenge is only in August, so there again!  Here's the flyer


Here is a quilt that is on display in the library. 

If you think that one's phenomenal, then just wait another 10 years for the big dadddy - The Sesquiltcentenial Extravagonzo!  
As you may or may not know, quilting and bicycling go together like commuting and challenging, so here is a website that is focused on bicycles and quilts (and swimming).  Also, here is a quilt that has bicycles on it.  
SF Winterfest Quilt 2009
Since I spend the majority of my 2-wheeling time in Lincoln, Nebraska, I have become aware that there are many bicycle shops in that town.  I am not really surprised, since I have noticed that there are many bicyclers out and about on a typical summer's day on the non-trafficky streets of Lincoln.  Here is one.  I haven't been there, but the website looks nice.  Sounds like the proprietor may even build a bike for yer ass!  You could probably even work out an arrangement where you bring your quilting supplies and work in the shop while the proprietor is working on your frame!  Maybe some type of bartering might occur.... who knows!  That's what's so exhilarating!  



No comments:

Post a Comment