Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Syrupy Stowaways and Rocky Forgiveness

August 21, 2013
As will often happen, I found myself outside a bar speaking with a hippy panhandler discussing literature.  He recommended Loren Eiseley, a famous anthropologist and philosophical memoirist from the Lincoln, Nebraska area with whom I had not been previously acquainted.  That was about 10 years ago.  Last week I finally made it down to my local library where a book of his entitled The Night Country caught my eye.  There is even a library named after Dr. Eiseley located in Lincoln, but I haven't been there.  One of his childhood memories involves him jumping on the back step of a salesman’s horse-pulled cart and riding out of town and up the hill to a rich man’s manor.  Inspired by this venture as well as an urge to take a minor leave of absence from Baby Snot, who has become increasingly demanding in his actions and defamatory in his remarks, I fled heedlessly into the back of this man’s pickup truck.  


Luckily the 11 hour ride was pretty relaxing and we eventually ended up at a place called Summit Lake where I was discovered asleep in the back of the luxury cruiser/pickup truck.  I explained myself to this man, who I will hitherto refer to as “Bob,” and was not shot or incarcerated.  Instead we did some hiking and backpacking in the Steamboat Springs, Colorado area.  We took a day hike on the Continental Divide Trail (as far as our flatlander lungs could painlessly take us [up to some scenic overlooks, but not all the way to Luna Lake] and an overnight backpack trip on Newcombe Creek Trail [not far off the CDT]).  

It was quite enjoyable.  I took some photographs of some animals 

and plants 

and tyre tracks upon a trail.  

Further investigation has convinced me that this is the questionably named "Red Dirt" trail.  Although Bob and I did not bring any mountainous bicycles to experience this dirt, we did discover some artifacts.  
Bar None Syrup!  circa 1960s or thereabouts?

Perkins Pickles of Denver, circa of life!

There was some lovely scenery, which was slightly hazy, possibly due to a fire in the vicinity of Salt Lake City.  I also danced, strummed my mandolin and dug privies in an attempt to ingratiate myself to my erstwhile benefactor.  I met up with these two men 

and attempted to become a stowaway in their lama’s panniers/saddlebags.  I was, however, this time detected whereupon I was spat upon by the men and kicked by the lama.  Or was it vice versa?  Luckily the long-suffering Bob was amused by these asinine antics and generously threw a pretty rock he had picked up along the trail at my fool head.  As I carried on and gamboled away the days in this carefree and wanton manner I was reminded of Jerry Jeff Walker's classic “Mr. Bojangles” song, performed here by Mr. Sammy Davis, Jr.

 

I jumped into the refreshing Summit Lake.  Then Bob generously took me back home and unceremoniously booted me out of his majestic conveyances and onto my stoop after I had drunk most of his coffee and all of his beer in several fits of anxious spasticity at the thought of returning home to my diminutive tyrant of a baby and the rest of my family.  Although disgusted by my shirking of my duties, my family's anger was somewhat ameliorated by my gifts of pretty rocks with which they pelted me to show their acceptance and forgiveness.  

Ah, it's good to be home!  Let's bicycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment