Saturday, March 19, 2011

Astride the Divide (part 2)

March 16, 2011
I stopped and answered my phone to chat with stepmother while lying on a concrete sewer manhole pad. Smelled a little funny, but felt great! There were some cheery cirrus clouds up there and such a blue sky!


 Good livin’! I eventually noticed that the movie started in 25 minutes, so I finished my leisurely winding journey to the theater. A helpful man named Bob told me I could park inside. Great!

Grabbed some grub from the neighborly grocery, a beer at the theater and I was ready for leather-like upholstered, theater chair adventure! Got in there to find a very crowded house. I was shocked to see so many sporty people in Omaha, not to mention in an unlikely setting such as a movie theater.
A guy named Gary introduced the movie. He was from Colorado Springs and made some complimentary remarks about Omaha and how he mentioned moving here to his wife, who would have none of it. Yeah Gary, I’m sure you really tried to convince her to trade Garden of the Gods and the Olympic training center (sigh, my Olympic ping-pong dreams of yore) for Henry Doorley Zoo and the College World Series. Thanks for your patronization.
The movie started and a man named Mike had just turned 40 and apparently gone over the edge and now wanted to climb back onto the edge of the Continental Divide for some long distance sufferfest known as the “Tour DeVide.” Groan. When I am feeling peppy I just go for a ride around town, what is it with these people?! Mike also spoke of the spiritual nature and a “vision quest” that he felt would be included in the tour package. I didn’t know how serious he was about the vision quest because his eyes (the window to his mysterious soul) were hidden by some black, undoubtedly polarizing-lensed, Oakleys. (Later on in the movie I’m pretty sure I saw him discreetly approach first a mule deer and then a black bear and whisper, “Dude! Are you my totem?”)
Luckily, since he demanded a lot of camera time, the winner of the race was a fairly likable guy named Matthew. After the ride portrayed in the movie, he had his first son, and then returned to the Tour DeVide for his 6th go-round!? I guess he’s better at biking than diaper-slinging.
Got out of the theater before Gary tried to pawn off some of his swag on us innocent movie-goers. Still great riding weather, plus I could ride fearlessly in the nearly vacant streets. Spring, I love you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment