Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31, 2011
It truly feels like spring these days. Tumultuousness has manifested itself in many ways. All around are signs of rebirth. I mean grass. Also more birds. In order to aid this rebirth, we gather large amounts of timber to ignite and engulf with flame.

We then dance around the huge fires and drink the newly brewed Bock. And then the sacrifice. Yes the sweet sacrifice… $5 per pint. Or a couple hundred bucks for some kick-ass lawn ornaments. And then the carbon from the fires encourages the new growth of our artificially-forested fatherland and we begin the cycling anew! Yah.

But in order for rebirth, there must be DEATH! WARNING- Slight gruesomeness ahead! Yes, I am sorry to say that squirrel carcasses have been abundant during my pedaling excursions. As you can see, they are sometimes quite gruesome. These squirrelly animals have been littering the normally pastoral suburban streets I frequent.

So much so that I have started seeing their fluffy hides in places where they have not actually emitted their frisky death rattle. I see dead squirrels.  Even when they're not really there.  Get them out of my head! 

Yes, these cuddly critters are beloved by all, and often smushed by motor vehicles. I feel a shallow kinship with these creatures as I make my skittish way skittishly through life, precariously balanced atop my two-wheeled high horse.

But, according to my research, the pavement of my beloved multi-use paths that form the capillaries of the traffic circulatory system in our fair O-town are less littered with carcasses of our hyperactive companions. Yes, these furry urban roustabouts are much safer along these short-stretches of pastoral safety for mammals of all sizes. Dogs are generally leashed, bicycles and other wheeled forms of locomotion are much slower than their motorized brethren, and pedestrians are generally pre-occupied with their healthy actions as opposed to hunting or trapping the plentiful, delicious (?), abundant urban game. It’s a squirrelly paradise out there. I took a photo of this multi-use trail intersection that was carcass-free.

If there were squirrel carcasses to emit a slight stench anywhere along this capillary-like system, I’m pretty sure this would be the place. All of this is not to say that man-powered 2-wheelers cannot inflict fatal injuries on small rodentish attic invaders. Why, once I may have taken out a 13-striped ground squirrel on my knobby-tired Schwinn (I couldn’t tell if the squeak was from fright or pain).

So, drink your Bock and ride your high horses with me proudly my comrades as we circulate vaguely along the peripheries of our traffic system. Well, maybe that’s a wee bit o’ the Bock talk happening, but you get the inspirational drift. Yaahhh! Attack! It’s spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment