Saturday, March 19, 2011

SPD action!

March 17, 2011
St. Paddy’s Day. I sent out an e-mail to some buddy’s to see if they wanted to get out for some hi-jinks and was turned down flat and/or flatly ignored.
Thu, March 17, 2011 8:11:30 AM
Green Taco Ride?

From:Bike Snot
To:A lotta friends. Yeah, that’s right, I’ve got TONS of friends.

 
Toppa the maahrning to ya laddies!
Anyone feel like a double dose of danger with a Taco Ride/St. Paddy's Day Ride
and/or Duathlon? I was thinking we could either stick to 2 wheels and start up
at the north end of the Keystone, or we could lock the bikes up somewhere in the
White House/Old Chicago area, drive north to the trailhead and then run back for
nourishment and a bike ride back. Other variations are, of course, possible....
Sorry for the late invitation, but today kinda snuck up on me.
Hope to see you soon!
Steve MacJacobson


Ah the life of a middle-aged, non-advanced-planning grump! Well, the lack of comradeship would not deter me from starting off on my mission to fun.

On my way home a guy tried to beat me off the line at the intersection (I was, perhaps unwisely in hindsight, sidewalk in’ it, while he was looking trust-fund-kiddish: sporting an SUV , a goatee and swanky shades). I knew he had seen me, so I managed to get out in front of him as he slammed on his brakes and I flipped him the bird (yes, my bike diplomacy has gradually improved over the years, but it still ain’t perfect). He loudly informed me (in not so many words) that he would have preferred to go before me. Well the adrenaline got me pumped for pedaling back home towards St. P Day fun.

Since I was flying solo, I decided to start with a run at a place called Winchester’s that I mistakenly thought was at a tract of land occupied by Bushwhackers and (around back) Bushrockers because "even cowboys like a little bit of rock & roll":

After I found the actual Winchester’s, I began to implement my slightly complicated plan by locking up my bike a couple miles from Winchester’s. Than I stuffed my backpacky-thing with lots of bikey things, including a seat+seat post and these outrageously ugly new cycling shoes. (Hey, they’ve got a carbon fiber sole and they were on sale!)

Yeah, it was pretty full,
and promptly blew a strap when I tried to backpack it. Being versatile if absolutely necessary, I slung it over one shoulder- man bag style and began my slow run towards my bicycle.
I started off by taking a quick run on the tracks of the local roller coaster, (yeah, pretty friggin’ intense dudes!)

I eventually made it back to my bike, (after dark) and noticed signs possibly related to St. Paddy’s Day-(or just long bike-ride/run)-related public urination.
Had a nice bike ride back to Winchester’s, blew out the bottom of the other pack strap, and briefly wore it as a kind of albatross-like medallion (ala “Rime of the Ancient Mariner“)
before switching it back to man-bag style.
Made it back to Winchester’s for some mad karaoke fun. Yow! SPD rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment