Friday, October 28, 2011

2 funky, 1 leg




October 28, 2011
While enjoying short-sleeved temperatures on my bicycle ride homewards, I found I was being heralded by a gently honking entity of some sort. I replied with a chime of my handlebar bell. Then we got a groove going, kind of a call and repeat, rhythmic duet. It reminded me of my short time spent in a Himalayan ghumpa being serenaded by a wizened master and his student playing gyalings.


The source of the honking seemed related to a kid shooting some hoops in his driveway. Our duet lingered as I was climbing the steep hill (aka Hill o' Ween [because the power duo collabo was reminiscent not only of a Buddhist lama and disciple, but also the multi-faceted jam band Ween]).
Prior to Hill o' Ween I had traveled some unfamiliar byways on an improved route to and from my home and the goblin workshop that currently exploits/employs me. Behold some of the marvelous sights I beheld!

It was quite some time ago that I accepted the weakness of my right illotibial (IT) band.
This deficiency is noticeable only when running, which isn't a common undertaking of mine. The recommended remedies (a bewildering variety of stretches and pain-inducing foam roller therapy), coupled with the infrequency of my running, did not induce a speedy solution. Now that I am involved in some half-assed preparations for the off-road Beer and Bagel Run I have recommenced my running efforts. Luckily there are some new strategies for dealing with IT band problems: one-legged step-ups and one-legged squats.
The great thing about one-legged squats that it can be performed as a segue into sitting down on the couch to watch some "True Blood" or that new "Beavis and Butthead" show.

 Hmmmm.  I can't do that.  Maybe I'd better watch that video again...

No comments:

Post a Comment