Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bicycle + style?


April 28, 2012
I have noticed that bicycles and accessories have become more fashion-oriented in recent times, although this is not saying much, since prior to current times bicycling was afashionable (i.e., without style). One place to observe this new trend is at the enjoyable Thursday night Taco Ride on the Wabash Trace Trail. Some friends and I got our taco posse together and rolled out for a bracing romp through the countryside. Here are some striking bicycles, accessories, and a couple of their owners.




Flasks and flask holders available at Greenstreet Cycles


When I mentioned the pink tyres on the above bike to the owner of the following bicycle,

she took it as a challenge and vowed to obtain some pink fenders for her classic ride.

The newly classy back room of Tobey Jack's Mineola Steakhouse wasn't quite full,

so we kicked back for some tacos and fish sandwiches. I proceeded to mash them together for what I like to call the fish taco salad grandissimo! Ole! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! con upside down excalamacion y accento bastardoes! Que noche bueno!

This weekend I went to the free admission/Arbor Day celebration at Lauritzen Gardens (more on this later).  Then I made it down to 13th Street Coffee and their fairly recently-opened used bookstore, where I witnessed some bicycle/art window dressing.

Enjoyable excursions are beginning to occur with more frequency since the weather has begun to nicen up nicely. Hey, I hear it's almost May Day. And everyone is talking about the exciting Hey Day on May Day. It is exciting as it is vaguely defined. I think the idea is to turn up to show that we bicyclists are many in number and are hoping for safe routes round and about town. I think that many of us bicyclers will bicycle over to 25th and Harney where they will have a section of the street set up like the soon eventually to be built separated bicycle lane. Instead of reenactments pre-enactments of this possible future will be enjoyed and envisioned. In order to aid my envisioning, I am planning on eating some garden-variety plants that I learned about while attending the Lauritzen Gardens current exhibit Wicked Plants (certain varieties of morning glories [Ipomoea tricolor and Turbina corymbosa for example] have hallucinogenic properties). Wicked Plants is a darkly intriguing voyage to the grey areas of morality and horticulture. For example did you know that white snakeroot is oftimes eaten by cattle. Cows are unharmed, but their milk becomes poisonous to humans. Drinking snakeroot-laced milk apparently killed Abe Lincoln's mother at the age of 34. I felt slightly smarter after attending this exhibit. This is probably good, because in my free time I have been watching lots of bad comedies, which make me feel slightly stupider. The last three movies I've seen have been Anchorman, Semi-pro and I'm about to watch Hot Tub Time Machine. (See, I'm pretty sure those aren't even the last three movies I've seen, since I haven't actually viewed HTTM yet, but I can't remember what I saw before Anchorman....huh?)  First I need to get in my own tub to wash off the slight, stingy itchiness I've been experiencing since I went to that dangerous Wicked Plants show.  Ugh, I should've stayed on the path and instituted a "no-licking policy".  Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment