Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Storms, Justice and the News!


April 18, 2012
Have you been reading the newspapers or listening to the radio lately? Well, I don't blame you. It's generally pretty grim stuff. How about your co-workers? Ever listen to what they have to say? They can be kind of depressing too. I heard a sad story about a man who let his mother starve to death. He got 2-3 years in prison. Then a co-worker endorsed compulsory euthanasia at the age of 65 to ease our impending economic problems here in Mexico's flowery hat known as the USA, in Europe, and in Japan. I tried to gently inform him of some gentler options, such as phasing out retirement as a benefit, as described here.  I just don't know about these elderly people haters.

Do you like justice? Me too. I especially like the vigilante-inflicted variety of justice which is portrayed in every movie made by such great action actors as Clint Eastwood, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and John Wayne. That is why I think that these elderly-people-haters should undergo some harsher justice than that provided by our court systems. Maybe they should have to partake in a bloody, bare-knuckled battle to the death with an old person like Jack LaLanne or else maybe spend an evening listening to Clint Eastwood play jazz piano...sober. Kind of like motion pictures such as The Running Man, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and Bloodsport. That would teach them.

Do you know what knows no justice? Storms. They have been up to some pretty destructive activities lately. A large, well-hydrated, elderly person may have had their ileostomy bag blown away and lodged in a tree as shown here.

Here are some other storm-related photos.


But the news is not all bad. I saw 2 bicycle-related articles in the Omaha World-Herald today. I was stoked! The articles talked about bicycle commuting and how more people are buying bicycles these days! Yay! The article further mentions an ongoing event called the Bicycle Omaha Commuter Challenge which is put on every year by Activate Omaha. It is pretty fun, because you can compete with other bicyclers/companies in keeping track of the number of miles/days you commute. The only thing missing is a smack talk option (hint, hint).  One of the article talked about bike retail sales booming. Well that is great. You retailers are lucky that not all bicycle enthusiasts are stingy grouches riding heavy, 21-year-old bicycles stubbornly up and down the hills of our river town. They also are very busy and may need extra help fulfilling the demand for bicycle service. As the Jerky Boys might say, "You want I bring my tools?!" I'll be over at 11:30 to help out. I work cheap (to go along with the quality of my workmanship), but it gets a little better on a full stomach. Oh, and with a beer or two to wash it down.

Here is the window of an art gallery at Midtown Crossing that features some handcrafted bicycles built by local bicycle builder, Christopher Halbkat.

I understand he will build you a bicycle based on your specific needs. Well that is also great. I also hear that he is going to open up a shop in the Dundeely part of town, hence the Dundee Cycles moniker. I think that it would be pretty sweet to have a custom bicycle. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that my personality has been so warped by my abusive relationship with the Old Bastard that a custom cycle built based on my specific needs would end up being pretty much the same as the OB. We are like 2 sides of the same coin. Like storms and justice. Or a custom bike and the Old Bastard.

Do you know who else is affected by storms? That's right.  Birds.

Well indulging my moderate interest in uninformed, amateur birding, I stumbled upon this treasure trove of vaguely bird-related information. It seems to consist of many posts complaining about tree removal and city infrastructure overhauls. Also good bird stuff. It seems that birders can feel as oppressed as many of us bicyclers. But birders generally have a nobler perspective in that they are concerned not only for themselves, but for the birds. And they've got the Lorax and Lorsaw on their side.


Rare Lorsaw sighting.
Tree power, bitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment