Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hootin' Tootin' Tuesday!

June 27, 2012
I am proud to inform you that I saw some live music. Not that this is, in and of itself, a fantastic achievement.  But it was a Tuesday, too! You don't have to be impressed, 'cause I'm sure I'm impressed enough with myself for both of us. Here was the headliner - the Matt Cox Band.

Good solid sound. Kind of a classic country/classic rock sound with good songwriting sensibilities and a fun vibe. Also playing a good set of bluegrass standards with a few new originals was Up on a Hill.

"How can I too engage in such carefree behavior?" you may or may not be asking yourself or someone else in your vicinity? Well, it's called a "hootenanny" and is a recently established monthly event at Homaha's very own Waiting Room Lounge. No, you don't have to wear cowboy boots.  On a rotating Tuesday of every month they have a hoot to raise funds for a cause of some sort. This month it was Lincoln's Pepe's VegMex Bistro. They are raising funds to buy a food truck. Damn good eating.  There was also a bake sale.  And flyers and stickers for various causes.

As oftentimes occurs, a co-worker at the ball-bearing-balancing shop asked me if I had bicycled or carred into work today. Although it was somewhat hot, but breezy, I replied that I was sticking to with the bike because, a) it's cooler than my beloved, but non-A/Ced Metro, and b) it fits into shady parking areas more easily.

My Metro is a great car, but sometimes it gets pretty hot and sweaty. Especially in stop and go traffic. That is why I oftimes don a pair of bicycling gloves so's I don't lose my grip on the steering wheel while careening around the neighborhood whooping with delight at the bicycle-like speeds attainable by my almighty 1.3L mini-titan-like engine of pure power!

Whooo!

So I heard Spain beat Portugal at the Euro Cup on penalty kicks. I am likely as unimpressed as you are by this occurrence. I'm just glad that France isn't involved, since they must get every single chateau in the countryside ready for the influx of rabid bicycle-loving Tour de Francophiles. I am super excited about this! I am so excited that I've started composing a vaguely TdF-related song currently entitled "Franciful Popsicle" that will likely put me under the underground music video radar, as long as I can actually accomplish the completion of a music video what with my busy schedule of bicycling here and there. Whew! 

I'm not sure who will win this year's Tour, but based on this local columnist's perspective, I know that the real winners will be France. Well, it's good that they can win at something, because apparently they ain't that great at futbol con accento, eh Espana con tilda? Eh? Ayyyy!

While bicycling homewards I noticed several clues as to my fate.  The first through penultimate clues were at least 6 air-fresheners lying on the sidewalk of my usual homeward route.  I took this as the universe telling me that I smelled bad.  Thanks universe, tell me something I don't know!  So here was the final clue -

A quick consultation with my psychic-hotline operator revealed that this meant I smelled like an expensive French cheese - camembert.  How did she know that?  Mon dieu de camembert!   

No comments:

Post a Comment