Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Back in the Saddle!


October 4, 2011
Like countless others, I have recently experienced an Oktoberfest celebration which led to some moderate vomiting. Like I imagine my great-grandfather might have told me, "You gotta get right back on that horse that threw you!" Well, I have done so by jumping onto this saddle and downing a few brews, as described in the following sentence.

On a recent trip through Columbus, Nebraska, I was able to enjoy an Oktoberfest in the Vienna style at the lovely Gottberg Brewery. It also has an impressive lavatory.


In addition I observed a practical and sturdy-looking tricycle of the porteur persuasion.

And this man with a rather unwieldly-looking cross offering free reading material.

I was also pleased to note a recent article in the newspaper reporting that Omaha had been inducted into the much-coveted bronze level category of Bicycle Friendly Communities. I feel much more comfortable bicycling around town than I did back in the 1990s when I sensed animosity and the occasional bottle aimed in my general direction as I cycled off to my midnight job as a mortician's lackey. Omaha is currently involved in formulating a transportation master plan of some sort that will determine the course of our local road and trail system to a great degree of detail. It seems likely that this plan may be hijacked by a mouse known as "The Brain." However it also appears that a sizable contingent of concerned and proactive cyclists have been attending appropriate meetings to make sure that the voice of the cyclists (typically only heard as a bell, an "On your left!" or some type of high-pitched obscenity) is heard.

As if this all weren't enough, I am also signed up for an exciting bicycling event I may have mentioned previously, described in more detail here.

While watching the popular new Scott Pilgrim movie I noted that there were no bicycles represented in any of the scenes I viewed. I blame this on a lack of bicycle-representation in modern video games, since the movie seemed to be heavily influenced by video games. Whatever happened to the all-American thrill of video games like "Paperboy" where you could bicycle erratically and chuck the local rag at your neighbor's barking dog or squealing baby. Let me lend my words to the chorus of those decrying the piteous state of modern "civilization" - bike your gaming, for Chrissakes you young up-and-comers, BYG!

No comments:

Post a Comment