Saturday, October 22, 2011

Tranquilized!

October 22, 2011
I have been informed, via bulk mail, that "Rain" is a tribute to the Beatles that will be performed at Omaha's Orpheum Theater on November 11 and 12. It is also something that falls from the sky and lands on the pavement, forming puddles you can ride through on a bicycle equipped with Hutchinson Python tyres if you are hankering for a liquidy form of self-flagellation. The center knobs (yes, yuck it up my British "friends") have even been referred to as "paddles" by a fellow cyclist, which I think is an appropriate description of their form and function, especially in rainy conditions.

I like to think of it as self-splashulation, which is what I may have been engaged in recently and that resulted in my distraction during some wonderful events here in the Ho (short for Home-aha). These wonderful events include what may be the beginning of a gradual rise of bicycles to a form of legitimate transportation. When I was first notified that the Ho had received a "bicycle friendly community" designation (albeit at the bronze baby shoe level), I admit that I suspected that the hand of a wealthy bicyclist such as the Ho's own Wizard of Wall Street - Warren Buffet, was once again busily at work peskily improving humanity.

My enthusiasm in regards to these transport oriented developments has been bolstered somewhat by some recreational activity I enjoyed this afternoon. Yas, I made it out to Tranquility Park for some off-road bicycling with my friend, coach and mentor - Rich. We had a blast! When we arrived, the garrulous Rich perceptively perceived that some riders had become walkers of their proud steeds. Yes, a mighty Santa Cruz Heckler had been hobbled by a flat, which had been only partially refilled by a CO2 cartridge. Since I saw no opening to escape from this impending Good Samaritanism, I offered him the use of my handy-dandy Genuine Innovations Second Wind pump/CO2 inflater (I often have difficulties with decisions). It's an exercise in patience, but generally provides just enough air pressure to get slowly but comfortably where you are headed. GI also manufactures the acclaimed Mountain Pipe if you need some kind of buzz before pumping up your flatty.  The SC Heckler's jockey's (possibly Mark's) son Jesse provided some gentle heckling of the Heckler-jockey by stating that the Heckler was "kind of overkill" for the relatively smooth Tranquility. Yes, Tranquility formerly seemed a little bland, but convenient for all-terrain bicycle excursioning. There are currently some trails out there that were not present the last time I was Tranquilized. The funnest were probably up on the hill to the north of the ice-plex.

Horrible photo, great riding!  I was too busy riding to photograph the top, fun part!
A kind of ridge composed of soft dirt in a kind of treacherous bumpy format and some steep whoop-de-doos provided a welcome diversion on a lovely Saturday afternoon. A local man, with an endearing amount of grayish scruff and a slight paunch, informed us that the new bumpy section had been there since "around August." Also a nice fast downhill with some jumps for those in love with potentially sick (aka slightly nauseous) air.

The main trail network was expanded to the north of Fort Street.

That log to the left was talkin' smack about you.  Maybe you should get out there and....ride over it!
A path under the overpass leads to a pleasant, quick, fairly straight-forward ride past the baseball and soccer fields with a nice loop.

Enough details, get out there and ride, if you've got a yen for some sweet off-roading! Suffice it to say that my arms and legs were pretty fatigued by the second time down the bumpy spine of the hill. The newly expanded area north of Fort also provides egress to a neighborhood in close proximity to the Standing Bear Lake dam. It was a quick, peaceful jaunt over to the multi-use trails around Standing Bear from Tranquility. Love it! I hope to be back soon.

On my way home, in addition to self-spashulation, I enjoyed some lovely fall foliage and pleasantries with pedestrians who appeared amused by my gritty drippiness. 

Intoxicated by the exhilirating bicycling at Tranquility, I had recently been rhapsodizing about the lovely buzz of the knobby tyres on the pavement as we circled Standing Bear Lake, and now "Pythons in the Rain" (ala The Police's "Shadows in the Rain") provided my mental soundtrack.


As for Beatles tributes, we've got a pretty good band right here in the Ho called "Yesterday and Today." They will be playing shows at the Omaha Community Playhouse from December 2 - 31st. I went last year and had a ball. They're also at the Waiting Room on November 26th (with cheaper tickets and drinks). If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh chappys? Eh, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment