Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cyclo-crossing! En guarde (avec accentes, sil vous plais!)

October 27, 2011
It has come to my attention that Oh-me-ha will be hosting bicycle cyclo-crossing activities at two upcoming events on November 2 and 9 (Wednesdays) at Seymour Smith Park! Registration at 5, races at 6. Although I am vaguely familiar with the concept of cyclo-crossing via snippets of television viewing, I will hopefully get a chance to get out and make the scene for some real-life cyclo-cross. I am pretty sure that all non-professional cyclo-cross events require crazy costumes, preferably of the cross-dressing variety, and obstacles you must surmount with alacrity ablaze! Since this racing series is entitled "Twilight Cyclocross" I am guessing that it has a fangless vampire theme, so get out the glitter, put away the fangs and let your glamour glam!

Since I am a cyclocross newbie I did some research to discover more about this intriguing particular genre of bicycle racing.

Here are some things that I found out...
    1.. If you are vaguely interested in cyclocrossing you should definitely try it! 2..There are many rules associated with cyclo-cross. They involve detailed descriptions of pits, obstacles, planks, bridges and brought to mind the exciting Activision hit video game, "Pitfall!" 3..Dismounts and remounts should be most effectively performed by slipping your right foot down between your left leg and bike frame. Hmmm. Sounds a bit tricky, aannd treaty!
So grab your cyclo-cross bicycle to bear, rugged road bike, or an all-terrain-bicycle with no bar ends and get out there for some messy fun!

As a side note, I hear tell that these events are fun to spectate, so even if you don't wanna get some mud on your magnificent steed, you can swing by for some free to cheap entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment