Friday, September 21, 2012

Rock city, baby!


September 21, 2012
As you probably haven't noticed, I have not been participating in the web logging phenomena lately.  Well, here's why-

that's right, it's Rock City, baby!

This locale is not exactly the same as the one portrayed in my favorite film - Detroit Rock City.  I've not been to Detroit, but I'm pretty sure this place is way more pastoral, but with the potential to be just as rocking.  Here's the stage set up.
With poor photography, the required explanation is attached herewith - a shady stage with an even more shaded spectator shelter at Rock City, baby!
Gotta love the open air vibe.  I bet Badly Drawn Boy would love this venue.  Also Dave Matthews, but he's not invited.  Sorry Dave, you're just a tad too commercial for RC.  

There are also sandstone rocks aplenty.

Concretions from the inland sea that covered much of the midwest back 150 million years ago or so.  They are fun to look at and to climb on.

From  http://www.misskansas.org/miss-kansas/miss-keepers-of-the-crown/item/50-miss-kansas-2007-alyssa-george 
Many people also seem to enjoy writing on them.  It's a fun-for-all at RC!  It is also conveniently located near Minneapolis.  Not the one that Prince lives in, but rather the one that helped make Miss Kansas 2007 a beauty queen!

Nice work Minneapolis, Kansas.  I'll be back for the next Rock City concert.  Maybe Miss K07 will be there too!  Rock out!  Although MK 07 may or may not be an avid bicyclist, MK 11 is shown here attending a bike-build activity that somehow relates to the 70th anniversary of the USO.
From  http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/jb44t9NgtAo/2011+Miss+USA+Contestants+Roll+Up+Sashes+USO/6V8Y1UysHTQ

How did I get to Minneapolis, you ask?  No?  Well, let me offer a sarcastic response to your non-question.  I ran there after getting a huge endorphin buzz after participating in last weekend's Corporate Cup run.

It was actually arranged as a last ditch summer vacation effort by my valiant travel agent.

He was concerned that I was becoming stressed and angry.  Well, that's because concern makes me stressed and angry, dammit!

Here are some photos from the Corporate Cup experience.
Like me, many participants were literally rubbing their chins in anticipation!

A cute dino threatened to "kiss our asses off" if we didn't meet our personal goals.
As you can see, my on and off again affair with corporations and running continues on its uneven course to its unintended destination.  Once I got out there I went crazy with competition and ran jogged at a fairly even pace for the full 2 miles!  It was indeed exhilarating.  Of course most runners were participating in the full 10 kilos (of the meter variety, sil vous plais).  Suckers!  It looked pretty grueling.  I got back in time to take some more photos and drink lots of water and eat more doughnuts.

Then I was off to Rock City!  Yes!
Here is a photo of Doughnut-Hole Rock.

I don't think this was named after the kinds of doughnut holes you get at Dunkin' Donuts, however.  I was a trifle confused, as usual, by this title.  Shouldn't it just be Doughnut Rock?  Or, since I saw this one nearby,
Kinda dougnuty, right?  No?  Hamburgery?  Maybe a burger with doughnuts for buns?
maybe Doughnuts Rock?  Because doughnuts rock!  Am I right?!  Woooo!   Doughnuts!

In my estimation, Doughnut-Hole Rock is actually more of a rotini-shaped rock.  Rotini Rock sounds pretty cool, too, eh kids?  I could not help myself.  I lay down and pushed and pulled myself somewhat laboriously through rotini rock.  Whew!  Good living!

Yeah!  You can tell I'm still feeling the afterglow of my exciting venture into pastoral Rock City.  It makes quite the impression.  You can bet I'll be in touch with Badly Drawn Boy and Minneapolis.  Matchmaker Snot laboriously crawls into action!

As you are all undoubtedly aware, fall officially springs into action tomorrow at 9:39.  Not sure if this is a.m. or p.m. but you'll know, oh yes, you'll know.  Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

This means that I have begun bipedalling around on my own feet to prepare for my possible participation in the upcoming Beer and Bagel Run.  Therefore, I was out and about when I witnessed people bicycling
and running
.  Inspirational!  Run for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment