Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Action at Z-Lake!


September 25, 2012
Today I went to the nursery to pick up some anti-grub bacteria after my shift at the ceramic rotator cuff manufacturing plant.  Riding a different route after work is quite exciting to a working stiff like me.  I added another take onto my standard double take at intersections.  I tried to ride briskly while cresting hills to avoid a potentially unpleasantly close encounter.  But along with the uncomfortable smell of danger (i.e., nervous sweat), I also witnessed some incongruously exotic scenery.  Here are some kids who were playing a game with a ball and sticks that may be based on the Harry Potter sport called quidditch.  Or iceless hockey.

I arrived at the nursery and spent slightly less than $100, which I eventually convinced myself to consider a mild success.  Then I filled my panniers full of grub fighting compounds and hastened homeward along the shores of the possibly recently restored Zorinsky Lake.  In a spate of incoherent benevolence, I dumped a large pack of beneficial nematodes in the water just in case it might help with any lingering Zebra mussels from the recent infestation.  Your welcome.

Then I noticed some people in watercraft lurking about in the waters inhabited by the ghosts of a thousand zebra mussels.

I think that phrase has a nice ring to it and I suggest that we change the name as soon as all the influential Zorinskies finally move out of town.  Not that I'm waiting....

There was a good crowd of people out moving around in the lacustrine environment.  The scenery was becoming more colorful.
Color coordinated runner and sumac.

Although I am glad that people were out engaging in activities, I was moderately baffled by the Harry Potter/stick-based sport (kind of like hockey in the air, but rather unlike actual air-hockey).  I have some experience dwelling in our fair city of Umoho and I'm pretty sure it's not a magical realm (but what do I know, eh kiddies?).  Or a cold northern hockey-like-sports-playing state/province.  Same with the kayaks, they seem a little out of place.  Aren't those generally used in rapids or on oceans?  The only reason we have lakes around here is to breed zebra mussels, and maybe some fishing.  Whatever happened to some good ol' horseback riding?  Maybe some dynamite fishing?  Grain elevator climbing?  These activities have a long and proud mid-western history.  What's next, banning football at our local university?  Someone get a rope!  For grain elevator climbing, of course.  Action on, actioneers, action the f on!

No comments:

Post a Comment