Sunday, November 18, 2012

Feral Munchkin Fun!


November 18, 2012
It was so nice out today that I made the tough decision to go out for a bicycle ride instead of starting in on bathroom ventilation system installation.  I started my spin out towards Tranquility Park.  Almost immediately I encountered a large critter.  A raccoon.
Ugh.  I think I'm gonna puke.
Based on his slow, unsteady gait, I judged him/her to be either bold, rabid, or drunk.  I rang my bell to no avail.  He stayed put.  Then he slurred at me, "Why don't you get off your high horse."  I did.  Took a photo.  "You call that a shot?" he mocked.  I gave him a wide berth as I continued along on my circuit.  

I finally arrived at the park where I noticed a cheery kite struggling with the moderate breeze.

Upon arriving at the trail, I immediately encountered more mountain bicyclers than I have seen out there all year!


And no wonder.  Great temps.  Fine trail conditions.  And several hundred yards of new trails and recent upgrades.  What a hoot!

Lots of cool stuff.  Also many feral munchkins, some with whacky, barbaric headwear.  They may have been planning a Lord of the Flies-esque coup, as many mini-bicycles were littered here and there.  I did not stop for many photos due to the relatively high volume of bicycle traffic, not because I was skeered of the munchkins.  Honest.  The munchkins were thronging around a new section of the trail with a steep approach and a fairly short, but steep exit.  I didn't make the exit, but there's a handy tree off to the left side of the trail which provided a handy rest stop.   I will now think of that ravine as Feral Munchkins' Revenge.  Pretty catchy, eh?  Femur for short.  Get it?  Short!  Like a munchkin!

But the excitement didn't stop after I walked my bicycle around a mini-bike lying in the middle of the path just after the exit.  A large animal leapt across my path at fairly close range.  A big buck!  Eight points er so, I reckon.  As big as a medium-sized pony!

Atop a hill following my Big Buck sighting, I noticed a clearing which probably served as the Feral Munchkins party zone.  I glanced over both my shoulders, then snapped a quick shot before pedaling rapidly away, completely unafraid.

As I rocketed back homewards, I looked around for the Rabid Coon, but he was nowhere in sight.  My heart rate gradually returned to normal.  I made it back to my humble homestead where, so far, I have not been bullied by any small critters or big bucks.

I hear it's supposed to be pretty good temperatures for the next several days, so you might wanna get out there and enjoy!

The traditional Thanksgiving-eve Taco Ride is rapidly approaching.  Hope to see you there!  Watch out for the wee critters!  Ornery little cusses!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that riding a fat bike makes it easier to clear that steep exit. You should look into one of those. ;-) Have a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete