Sunday, November 4, 2012

B&B for you and me!


November 4, 2012
The Beer and Bagel Run was here for a few hours, and is now over until next year.  This year was the 20th B&B Run.  It's an extremely enjoyable event, and a lot less stressful than the big family get-togethers that are beginning to loom on the temporal horizon these days.  This year's event reportedly featured around 2,700 runners.  Three stream-crossings.

A few costumes.

And some serious fun.

I think there were more participants this year than last year.

I launched myself at the course like a lazy water buffalo.  I noticed that the landscape had taken on a somewhat somber, getyerassreadyforwinter-esque, late autumnal appearance.

There was a gradual incline towards the end of the course

 that was somewhat discouraging.  Most of us pulled through, though.  Somewhat painfully, or vomitfully in some cases, but through nonetheless.  I was pleased to finish only slightly behind the man with the fried cheese(?) costume shown previously.  Then it was time for some eating, drinking, socializing and the like.

Mr. Kirby

sarcastically referred to my half-stagger/half-run as "gazelle-like."  He also advised me on child-rearing strategies and fashion.  Always good to have a friend/mentor in matters such as these.

I drank a few beers from Nebraska Brewing Company, which generously provided beverages.  Hy-Vee provided several large boxes of bagels, of which I partook freely.

I met a guy who won a pint glass at a Schell beer-sponsored run up in Minnesota.  It sounded like a good time.  Mr. Mike Ewoldt suggested I wear a cow bell with my kilt next year.  Hmm.  I will take that into consideration, but it sounds dangerous. Maybe a tassle instead?

The run was well-organized as usual.  As usual I have a gripe, however.  This speaker was blaring 311 at me as I was nearing the end of the run.

As an aging grouch, I was not amused by the loud sounds of a band that I believe to be much more popular with a younger demographic and that I don't really like much.  Ever hear of a band called the Doobie Brothers?  Howzabout Abba?  Maybe some Roger Miller?  Now there are some sounds that we can all agree upon!  Right, you young whippersnappers!?

It was not easy to leave this haven of beer and camaraderie.  Until everyone I knew left.  Then it was pretty easy to leave.

As you are sure not to recall, I had grandiose plans of renting an alligator and perhaps donning a Swamp Thing costume for this event.  Non gratis.  Unfortunately I have been training for the B&B by glutting myself on Halloween candy, much of which was consumed by my rental alligator.  I was too busy eating to prepare a rabbit-skin coat for the gator or to get a Swamp Thing costume together.  Lazy sigh....

Oh sweet B&B.  I have once again enjoyed our time together.  I'm sorry it's over, but I hope to see you again sometime.  Maybe next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment