Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rollin' on the Big Papio


March 10, 2013
I was out running some errands a few days ago and happened to stop for a photo of this fairly new building.
TD Ameritrade.  Not just for sponsoring ballparks anymore.

It looks like a progressive place to work since it's got a bicycle rack and some mini-wind turbines.


The design is kinda weird.  Let me preface this next incident by stating that, as you may have noticed, bicyclists are typically not shy about voicing opinions.  An abundance of anecdotal evidence that supports this statement can be found by perusing any bicycle-oriented online forum.  Or just talking to a fellow bicycler about why they are riding, eating, or reading X,Y, or Z.  A fellow bicyclist rolled up as I was deploying my light meter (i.e., pushing the button while in auto picture mode) and queried me thusly, "Takin' a picture for Eye Sore Monthly?"
"It is pretty crazy, huh?" I responded noncommittally.
"That's the biggest piece of shit building I've seen my whole life!" he colorfully opined.
"It reminds me of those square green plastic thingies..." I stated vaguely.
I wasn't sure what I meant, and it seemed to be on the hazy edges of my mind.  I'm still not sure what I was trying to think of, but it's kind of like the transparent blue plastic used in the Battleship grids, except larger and greener.
Architectural digest reviews don't pack the punch of this guy's scathing witticisms!
I finished taking some more photos and rolled along the Big Papio Trail for a while.  Ah, good ol' multi-use trails!

After leaving the trail I rolled through a construction zone that displayed an enviable concern for safety.

This concern for safety was on my mind when I noticed this.

I realized it was a covered pool.  But I also thought it would also make a good trampoline.  Kind of a win-win, eh?  A pool cover that doubles as a trampoline?  That way if/when you fall off the trampoline you're just at ground level.  I have already sent this idea to Hasbro and they are pretty likely to hook a bro up with a sweet-ass crib.  With a swimming pool/winter trampoline in the backyard.  You could fill the pool with foamy noodles or razor blades, depending on if you are more passionate about risks or safety.  Choose wisely.  For your choice says a lot about you and your personality.  Risky people are often interesting.  Safe people are often good planners.  Although I'm not a good planner, I do love safety.  Have I mentioned I've got 2 tail lights, a reflector, along with some reflective tape and an Illuminite jacket or high-viz clothing deployed most of the time I'm out pedaling?  Plus 1 or 2 headlights.  Not afraid to risk obnoxiousness for the sake of safety!

After some reflecting upon safety I met up with a fellow bicyclist who was sporting a bulky messenger-type shoulder bag and sitting proudly astride a Univega mountainous bicycle!  I had not seen one of those for quite some time.  I looked into it and apparently Univega is possibly now owned by the Raleigh people?  I remember Univegas as being a good bike for a reasonable price.  High value.  It sounds like they have kind of kept this approach.  We chit-chatted about how nice the weather was.  It was great!

Ah the joys of a nice day to ride in early March!  We'll be taking 'em for granted in no time.

Here are some bicycle rides that I've been recently informed are taking place:

Spring Fling, Saturday April 20, starting in Eagle and Louisville
http://greatplainsbikeclub.org/springfling/index.html

Omaha Tour for Hope, Sunday May 5, starting in Omaha
http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=2224

Annual Oak Creek Valley Ride, Sunday May 19, starting in Valparaiso
http://www.sertoma.net/

So what else is happening?  Well, last night was the 16th annual Aquarianfest at Gator O'Malley's.  No I wasn't there this year because I was hanging out with Baby Snot.  It's great, but once he's 3 or so I'm definitely getting him into some sweet-ass baby tye-dye and haulin' ass down to this groovy shindig.  How was it?  Awesome I bet!  Peace, love, understanding, and gettin' high!  Dig it!

No comments:

Post a Comment